Trigun

Diet And Hair Loss

I experienced my first thinning when I was a student. I must admit at the time my diet was very poor. I rarely ate fresh fruit or vegetables or drank water and existed on pasta in its various guises and tuna for protein. As my hair loss didn't really get worse once I cleaned my diet up, I think this could have been the major factor.

Whilst I doubt diet will reverse any hair loss, I am sure a good diet would improve the quality of what I have left. Does anyone have any advice of what is a must eat and what is a must avoid? Any advice on supplements? I have heard about B vitamins and saw palmetto but am not too sure what these are supposed to do.

I experienced my first thinning when I was a student. I must admit at the time my diet was very poor. I rarely ate fresh fruit or vegetables or drank water and existed on pasta in its various guises and tuna for protein. As my hair loss didn't really get worse once I cleaned my diet up, I think this could have been the major factor.

Whilst I doubt diet will reverse any hair loss, I am sure a good diet would improve the quality of what I have left. Does anyone have any advice of what is a must eat and what is a must avoid? Any advice on supplements? I have heard about B vitamins and saw palmetto but am not too sure what these are supposed to do.

Male pattern baldness is genetic and is not caused or aggrevated by diet or lifestyle. There are many smokers, junkies and alcoholics with thick hair and there are many hyper-fit elite athletes with MPB. There are of course other types of hair loss besides MPB (caused by infection, autoimmune disorders etc) but I'm not certain whether diet has any effect on these conditions. Oh, and forget Saw Palmetto, it's a scam.

On the other hand a good diet will have many health benefits. Your meals should essentially be balanced with at least 5 different fruit and vegetables per day, not too much sugar or fat (especially the evil transfats found in a lot of fast food and processed food more generally). Fatty acids from nuts and fish is also helpful. You may consider adding supplements, but be careful not to overdose on vitamins - this is potentially harmful. Anti-oxidants generally have been linked to preventing many diseases. Get a little of many rather than loads of one or two.

Male pattern baldness is genetic and is not caused or aggrevated by diet or lifestyle. There are many smokers, junkies and alcoholics with thick hair and there are many hyper-fit elite athletes with MPB.

I'd just like to agree with this as I have done many times in the past when this question gets asked (over and over again).