Sign in to follow this  
BadHairUK

The Andrew Hotel In Great Neck... Pics

Hi everyone, I've tried to give you a guide to anyone thats new to travelling to Great Neck, Hotel info, Taxi and Train services and prices, Feller Medical and NYC.

The Taxi journey to the Hotel from JFK takes about 15 minutes, I queued up for a yellow cab soon as I arrived as I heard that its not a good idea to accept the illegal taxis that are waiting there, its crazy to get in a cab that could be anyone u cant trust.

I know a few people asked me to take some pics of the Hotel as the ones on the websites often differ from the reality when you get there. Hope these help give u a better idea of the room and the hotel in general. It was situated right next to the Great Neck station car park so very good land mark when finding your way back. The cost at the time I was there was approx £100 per night.

AHroom03.jpg

AHroom04.jpg

AHroom1.jpg

AHroom0.jpg

AHroom07.jpg

AHroom05.jpg

AHroom06.jpg

The staff were very friendly and not many staff there....just one porter that opens the door on arrival and the girls at the reservation desk.. 2 very nice girls there btw.. :) Its not a busy Hotel which I liked. The room was cleaned to perfection when u leave to sign out. I had the 'do not disturb sign' after the surgery and was left alone which was great.

The Great Neck area is upmarket and no crime/safe place to walk around. Its very clean with lots of shops if you walk into the high street... 5 minutes up the road.

Here are a few Great Neck Taxi numbers for you to store in your phone! (the 001 code is if your calling from your mobile)

001 5164820077

001 5164660130

Call them yourself for peace of mind and meet them at the Great Neck station (where the bus stops are) this is the Taxi collection point and they can find it easier than the Hotel, its just outside the Hotel.

I used a taxi to take me to the surgery it took 5 minutes and cost just $6 (and he said that was a higher price than normal as I told him it was very urgent as he didnt want to leave straight away), I called at 7.10am.. and it arrived at 7.15am I was greeted by Dr Feller when I arrived at 7.25am. :huh:

This gave plenty of time to discuss the procedure and for the Dr to access your own situation... to get the best results. Also I found this the most relaxed I had been for weeks!! To finally meet Dr Feller who was very easy going and be there was just a huge relief... the wait was over.

Ok... I only took pics of the room but just out my hotel room window is the Great Neck station car park (front of Hotel) no more than 30 seconds walk away you can jump on the train which comes along every 30 mins and this takes u directly to Pen Station! Central NYC... Madison Square Garden. Its about 6 stops and takes about 30 minutes, it was just $14 return, but this was off peak at it was a Sunday for me.

I was surprised how nice the trains were, I just had an impression of feeling a bit vulnerable on my own travelling around, but I felt safer than anywhere.. and most people were on there own. There are train guards on the trains that take u'r tickets so thats good security if there was any problems.

I'll add a few pics of NYC soon.

BHUK - You take fantastically good photos - exceptionally clear :)

How long do you think it would take to walk from the Hotel to Dr Fellers?

Few pics of NYC..

NYC01.jpg

NYC07.jpg

NYC06.jpg

Hope this helps.

:huh:

Thanks mate, I had the hotel pics on low resolution.. and the NY pics on high.

I started to walk it the day before... but it was freezing cold... and I came back... its prob about 2 or 3 miles, and I would think 30 minutes? at a guess... but I would take a Taxi, you want to be fully relaxed I think and its very cheap.

If you have time to do a test run (walk) the day before that might work out ok for you :huh:

Quality photos BadHairUK, from Zip-It's description, I expected the The Andrew Hotel to be bit of a dump but it looks really clean and modern from those pics.. well worth the extra money.

Quality photos BadHairUK, from Zip-It's description, I expected the The Andrew Hotel to be bit of a dump but it looks really clean and modern from those pics.. well worth the extra money.

Bal, yes.. it was immaculate. The Lobby was the same so not sure how it could be less than spotless.

I wasnt well on my last day with the early stages of Bronchitus and they kept me in free for an extra 4 hrs to get myself ready to go to the airport. I wouldnt have made it otherwise so that extra bit of help was much appreciated by me and very kind of them. They were also concerned for me when I was leaving which was genuine and wanted to make me some tea at no charge as they said it would help and I could stay in the lobby as long as I wanted, I wouldnt hesitate to return to them or recommend them to anyone.

Great pics. I didnt slag the andrew hotel off, i just thought it was pretty basic. I just spoke as i found.

phoned the front desk the night before to ask them to book me a taxi for 7am, it didnt happen :huh: : the phone call bill :angry it just wasnt what ime use to when staying in a 4 star hotel. but i would stay there again due to location :)

Thanks for the pics and tips BadHairUK :) ! Very helpful. The hotel room looks fine - I'll go there in June. Do you know if there was air conditioning in the room? I don't suppose you needed it in November but I might need it in June.

Great pics again!

it just wasnt what ime use to when staying in a 4 star hotel.

Zip, Its only a 3 star hotel. But I never stay at hotels so I'm not really very experienced with what to expect, its was just my impressions were really good... but if someone is used to staying at really nice hotels you might not like it as much. It may have been the taxi company that didnt respond and not that they didnt make the call, as cabs are really unpredictable.. a cab driver I used hadnt even heard of The Andrew Hotel, he said in all his years he had never been there before.. I just asked him to take me to Great neck station in the end.

But its good to hear mixed opinions tho :) for an honest review for people.

Thanks for the pics and tips BadHairUK :) ! Very helpful. The hotel room looks fine - I'll go there in June. Do you know if there was air conditioning in the room? I don't suppose you needed it in November but I might need it in June.

Great pics again!

There was something that looked like an air con unit.. but u will need to make sure with the hotel.. It might tell you on there website?

Zip, Its only a 3 star hotel.

Thats strange my paper work says its a 4star, i know the cabs are unreliable but it that was my hotel i would have drove the person there myself and not let him stand there for over half an hour in the lobby.

Zip, Its only a 3 star hotel.

Thats strange my paper work says its a 4star, i know the cabs are unreliable but it that was my hotel i would have drove the person there myself and not let him stand there for over half an hour in the lobby.

All the 4 star hotels were a fair bit more expensive when I was looking around, no wonder u thought it was not as well equipped as u expected.. :) but I will say that one night the fire alarm went off at 2am!! I dont think its something u can blame on the hotel but the alarm in the room was deafening... (scared the crap outta me! lol) I wasnt feeling well and it was the night I just came back from surgery! but had to get in all my clothes and get out the room to find out someone had hit the alarm thinking they could smell smoke. But I went back to my room and the alarm was still going non-stop for 1 1/2 hrs! I called the front desk 4 times and they really appologised but the firemen were the only ones that were aloud to turn it off... but they couldnt turn it off for some reason! :blink: that was a bit of a nightmare.. but I doubt it happens very often. But I will be taking ear plugs with me next time!! Just incase :)

When you get bored of being redundant BadHair, you should contact AliceB about being a cameraman for the BBC - these pictures you have taken are some of the best I've seen.

Great pics and top info once again BadHair !

The hotel room looks fine to me mate. I hope there's plenty of channels on the tv there because i dont fancy going out after my session.

What did you do immediately after? I think i'll just get a load of food on the way back and pig out in front of the tv.

Grow well bud

Just sweet pictures!!!! :)

Stevo - Food and rest mate - thats the best immed post op plan :)

Just sweet pictures!!!! :D

Stevo - Food and rest mate - thats the best immed post op plan :blink:

PB.. lol.. thanks for liking my pics its good to look at them again as it does feel like being back there again :D at the mo... no thoughts of looking for another job yet tho :)

Stevo.. that was my plan too.. B) but it was immediately I got back to the hotel my virus broke out.. I didnt know what was going on to start with as I just felt like I had been out on the beer and had a few too many..(even tho thats a distant memory) but it was this Bronchitus thing taking hold.. so I just went to bed... :)

But.. If I was doing it again.. I would get back open that book on the desk and look at the back for Marios Pizza's ...get them to deliver one to my room for $10! Take a selection of DVD's with you (Multi-region ones....not PAL) as they have a DVD player in the room as well.. sit back and enjoy the grub and chill out on your pimp bed.. :D before getting some well earned rest. But dont forget to buy a travel pillow! B) Very comfy after surgery... U can just forget about it and rest then.

The TV didnt have many good channels... only one that played continous movies and another music channel... and loads of local and news channels.. shopping channels etc.

Cheers Spex! I know how much u like NY! U were right... its a great place B)

Those are some really nice pics! It's been twenty years since I've been to NYC and what looks different is the streets seem to be cleaner. When I went down, the streets were usually covered with garbage no matter what part you went to. Good to see some of NYC looking actually presentable...