Borobaldy

My Ht With Dr Feller

Hi guys,

Just thought i'd give an update and write a few comments about my overall experience,

Flew to JFK with Virgin airlines and stayed at the Hotel Metro. The hotel was in a good location and was a 10 min walk at most from Penn station. I've never flown with Virgin before but I can honestly say that their entertainment package is second to none providing up to date films, tv programmes and music to choose from.

I took the 5.29am train from Penn to Great Neck and decided to walk from the station to Dr Feller's office which took around half an hour. If you do decide to walk, upon leaving the station, turn left and keep walking until you get to a shell garage on your left. Cross the road to the right and head down Northern Boulevard. It's probably easier just to catch a cab but seeing as my fiancee and I got there so early, we decided to take a walk.

Upon meeting Dr Feller, he put my mind at ease with his easy going approach and friendly manner. He explained every step to me. He drew the hairline which as soon as I saw it, I knew it was for me. He said we should go for around 3000 grafts as he wanted to work right back towards the crown area. Upon seeing my pics I can see why!! I think I had deluded myself that my hairloss wasn't as bad as I thought at times but I was certainly wrong! Once Dr Feller had taken some pictures, he took me through to meet the techs and get everything prepared.

Having the injections done was far easier than I expected. They don't hurt nearly as much as an injection from the Dentist or if you go for a blood test.

I did need a few moments to compose myself after the injections but that had nothing to do with the injections I might add. This was due to my whole anxiety about the procedure getting the better of me and I really appreciate how understanding and compassionate Dr Feller was whilst I was having my attack of the 'shakes'. I think I exhausted their valium supply that day :)

I can't believe how easy the procedure was from my point of view. The cutting of the strip, the closure, the preparation of the graft sites and placing of the grafts seemed to fly by.

I had been worried that my scalp laxity wouldn't be that good as I hadn't been doing any exercises but Dr Feller explained that the exercises aren't really an issue if you have a virgin scalp.

Once everything was completed, I was given my post op instructions and called a cab (no walking back to the station!!) I have to say a big thanks to Dr Feller and his staff who are friendly, hard working and really know their stuff.

I had 3243 grafts in total. I think I can knock a few off that figure after hitting my head on a tour bus the following day. There was a lot of dark blood which came out of the area affected. I did take a pic of it which I may put up. I must apologise to the people who were in the area at the time who got the shock of their lives when I pulled off my cap in panic :lol:

One other thing is that I used Dr Feller's new pain killing method. It works well. I had some minor discomfort in the donor area in the evening although I was expecting more to be honest but one shot at each end and it was gone. He also wrote a presciption for oral painkillers which I picked up at a pharmacy at Penn. I never used the painkillers.

Here's some before and after pics. Thanks Spex for getting these.

BB1.JPG

BB2.JPG

BB3.JPG

Best of luck as you progress. You should have a nice result. Do you plan on going back for another to address the crown area?

If I may ask, what was the bill for your 3K grafts?

Thanks

Paul

WELL DONE BORO......

your gonna have a great result by the looks of it....i`m glad it all went well for you(apart from the bus incident)....i can only imagine how much that must have p***ed you off!!!

good pic`s and look forward to many updates...

ARC

Welcome back borobaldy,and congrats. I think the shakes is something to do with with the local anesthetic.

looks almost the same as my procedure :) well done mate, take it easy and heal well :lol:

Looks like another great job with excellent coverage - congrats :)

Can I add your HT date to the calendar? And if so, what was the date of your HT?

Congrats mate - sorry to hear that you banged your head - ouch!! Don't stress too much you would be suprised how resistant those little fellas are!

Spoke with Dr Feller late last night and if he remembers correctly although he remembers you well - You have approx another 3000+ in your donor :)

Hi and thanks for the comments

I am planning another session in the future to address the crown area. Good to know I have around 3000+ grafts left for touch ups etc. Thanks for checking that Spex.

Paul, the total cost was $9750 for the 3000 grafts. I paid $1000 deposit months ago and then paid Dr Feller the remainder on the day. Here's a link to his costs.

http://www.fellermedical.com/Fees_Financing.htm

As for the bus incident, to say I was pi***d off was an understatement! It's sods law that something like that happens when you're trying to be ultra careful! I was tempted to just stay in the hotel after that but New York is such a great place that I just had to get back out on the streets!

Add me to the calender PB. I think i'll be counting every day as it passes! The procedure date was Nov 10th

Our procedures do look pretty similar Zip it, don' they. Lets hope we're both sporting equally great barnets several months down the line. :)

One thing I forgot to mention was the cheesy Bo**ey advert I caught on the TV. This thing seemed to go on forever and made claims that you could return to work within 48 hours and no one would notice you had anything done! I guess this is due to the fact that if you go to these guys, you too wont notice anything has been done apart from the hole in your bank balance.

"Borobaldy,"

Congratulations! A good number that will give you a good hair step forward!

Regarding your "ouch" experience, I had two, myself. The first was in the cab on the way back from Dr. Fellers; it went over a bumb and being of a tall nature my head bumped (lightly) the headliner in the car. There was some blood, as you can see from my blog photos, but it was a minimal bump and was a straight-on "impact," so my initial reaction (roughly paraphrased, "@#$%$##%#@$$!!!!!") proved unbased...

The second was months later, and the only hairs I saw affected were sheds anyway...so in neither case was there an issue.

Grow with pride!

Benjamin

Looks like your gonna have a good head of hair there Boro !

What does your crown look like have you got coverage there ?

Well done mate !

Hey Stevo!

I think Borobaldy has a little bit of existing coverage in the crown judging by his pre op pic - but no hair was HT'd into that area.... maybe he will hit it next session ;)

Spex pretty much hit the nail on the head there. I have got some coverage in the crown area. I think the pics make it appear worse in that area than it is. It was shaved down in that area although like Spex says, no hair was HT'd into it. The hair I have got in the crown would appear to be on its way out though as it is a lot lighter than my hair at the back and appears transparent in appearance in some light.

Thanks for the comments guys. Hairroot, I reckon you're going to have a result which'll be nothing short of sensational judging from the pics i've seen so far and what you've added into the hairline. Good luck to you.

Nice comments Facelessman. Your cab story had me laughing and I can certainly appreciate the initial reaction!

One question I wanted to ask is does the tightness and tension ease once the staples are removed? At the moment, I feel as though my head's gonna explode if I so much as laugh. Oh well, i'm having em removed by a nurse on Wednesday so that can't come soon enough!

One question I wanted to ask is does the tightness and tension ease once the staples are removed?

YES! It's such a relief to get them out. I had stitches but I suppose the tighness feels the same as with staples.

One question I wanted to ask is does the tightness and tension ease once the staples are removed? At the moment, I feel as though my head's gonna explode if I so much as laugh. Oh well, i'm having em removed by a nurse on Wednesday so that can't come soon enough!

Oh yes you will love it when they come out - especially at night - it wont feel like you are sleeping with your head on a railway track anymore!!! :lol:

Boro -- to answer your earlier question, YES, having those staples out will improve your life dramatically! In my case, aside from the number of them, I managed to bone-headedly snag one with a comb (why I was bothering to use a comb back there in the first place, I don't know), leaving it just out enough to sting whenever I or a pillow touched it...not recommended!

Once they were all gone, I felt phenomenally better (not that I was in pain before; just the entirely normal tightness you'd talked about)...

Oh, and regarding my cab story, let me emphasize that it was a BUMP we ran over...the driver missed the bum, despite swerving several times. A harsh mistress, my hometown of NYC... :lol:

Semper Folliculi!

Benjamin "Grow, You Little @#%*ers, Grow!"

Hey Stevo!

I think Borobaldy has a little bit of existing coverage in the crown judging by his pre op pic - but no hair was HT'd into that area.... maybe he will hit it next session

Cheers Spex. Im going to confirm my session next week with Feller so i'll give you a ring in the week if thats ok.

Spex pretty much hit the nail on the head there. I have got some coverage in the crown area. I think the pics make it appear worse in that area than it is. It was shaved down in that area although like Spex says, no hair was HT'd into it. The hair I have got in the crown would appear to be on its way out though as it is a lot lighter than my hair at the back and appears transparent in appearance in some light.

Cheers Boro my situation is a lot like yours except i have a bald crown. I am hoping for the same sort of coverage as you but maybe go back a little more to try cover the crown a bit.

Grow well mate.

Stevo

Thanks for the comments guys. Hairroot, I reckon you're going to have a result which'll be nothing short of sensational judging from the pics i've seen so far and what you've added into the hairline. Good luck to you.

Thank you Borobaldy, same to you!

Congrats Borobaldy, how has the healing gone so far?

Cheers Hope,

the healing is ok. I still have a lot of scabbing in the recipient area but a lot of this has cleared up over the past couple of days. The area is still very red at the moment but starting to fade slightly. Donor is good and the staples come out tomorrow which means i'll finally be able to get rid of the hair at the sides and back!! Probably try a grade 2 or 3 on this as I don't mind the scar showing slightly.

Congrats Borobaldy, how has the healing gone so far?

Cheers Hope,

the healing is ok. I still have a lot of scabbing in the recipient area but a lot of this has cleared up over the past couple of days. The area is still very red at the moment but starting to fade slightly. Donor is good and the staples come out tomorrow which means i'll finally be able to get rid of the hair at the sides and back!! Probably try a grade 2 or 3 on this as I don't mind the scar showing slightly.

The redness will fade mate - just give it time! <_< You will be a different man once you get the staples out :) Pics would be great ;)

DAY 18 UPDATE

Just thought i'd share my pics. The graft hair started to shed yesterday and has been particularly bad today. It's hard to estimate just how much has shed so far but i've noticed a substantial amount in my hand each time I have touched my head. Is it normal to shed this early?

The scar is looking good - the sides and back were cut to a 3 grade last week when the staples were taken out which was probably too short!

Anyway, any comments welcome.

post-429-1164752356_thumb.jpg

post-429-1164752499_thumb.jpg

post-429-1164752589_thumb.jpg