Sign in to follow this  
Vanheldan

Hey Guys! New Here

How are You all Doing?

Let me give you some background information on my problem. I'm a 20 year old male from london, UK...who at the age of 18 took medication for my acne, minocycline, which caused me to lose hair (the medication did list this as a POSSIBLE side-effect but i was so desperate to to get rid of my acne i went ahead with it anyhow). After a number of weeks my hair began to fall out - it was extremely weak, used to wake up with my pillow covered in hair and when i used to wash it, my hands were covered in them. So then i pretty stopped this medication. It was however a while before my hair seemed to get some sort of strength back and luckily now after a year and a half, it seems to have recovered its stregth.

My problem is my hair is thin on top. when i run my hands through them i can feel the difference of the texture. You cant really tell i've lost hair but to me its obvious.

This may sound-like a stupid question but does anyone know of any way to thicken your hair. I would appreciate any suggestions, as this really does get me down from time to time.

Thanks!!!

Well there are lots of thickening shampoos and conditioners, styling products like Jonathan 'Dirt' or L'Oreal Playball 'Density Material' which are supposed to give volume. Aside from that you could try Minoxidil or start taking Propecia.

Mate maybe you could try nioxin, that was the first thing I ever tried for hairloss to try to thicken up my hair...they claim something like 9/10 people think their hair is thicker after using it. When I used it it did thicken my hair but also dried the crap outa it, so I stopped, but they have a new formula now, no idea what that's like, presumeably better?

Pondle: I've tried alot of shampoos and conditioers...did not work. I have been considering propecia, but i have always said that medication would be the last resort

Chino: did you mean something like this http://www.nioxin.com/go/products/thinning...g-hair-system-1

Could you have a look at this link and tell me if that is what you meant.

Thanks!!!

Yeah that's what I meant. I don't think propecia would benefit you if you don't have male pattern baldness... How's your male relative's hair?

CHINO: At my father's death, age 39, he still had a full head of hair. however, his brother, my uncle, lost all his hair on top in his twenties and my cousin in his late teens. I'm guessing it is more important to consider your father when looking at history, but i maybe wrong and you should consider a wide circle of relatives.

SPITFIRE: I know what you mean. i would never recommend this medication to anyone...it has caused me nothing but problems...to make matters worse i only saw slight improvements in my acne when using it. i saw my hair falling out within 4-6 weeks...i seemed to have far quicker reaction to it than you. Are you in the same position as me?...thin on top but only slightly, only you/people close to you can realise it?

Nanothik can make a difference in appearance... it's not a drug or concealer, it works by making each hair retain water and appear thicker. It worked for me for a while but then made my hair frazzled-looking, as did other thickeners I tried. My hair is pretty crap though, so it would probably work better for someone younger with a better quality of hair.

You could also try l'oreal elvive thickening shampoo, works quite well. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as considering your father's hair, you can get it from anywhere. Keep an eye on your hair, not every day or even every week, possibly just take some photos now then some after 6 months and see if there is any difference, if it gets worse then you should probably start on propecia.

i was on l'oreal elvive thickening shampoo for quite some time and did nothing for me aprt from give me quite bad dandruff. that's the reason i got nizoral which is pretty good. I'm quite interested in that nioxin you recommended, also the nanothik that PB_ recommended.

If i could as k you both, just how much improvement did you guys see?

i was on l'oreal elvive thickening shampoo for quite some time and did nothing for me aprt from give me quite bad dandruff. that's the reason i got nizoral which is pretty good. I'm quite interested in that nioxin you recommended, also the nanothik that PB_ recommended.

If i could as k you both, just how much improvement did you guys see?

Nanothik only made enough difference for me to notice, I doubt that it made enough difference for anybody else to notice, so nothing miraculous but it is easy to use as you just use it as you would a conditioner after shampooing. You have to use it for a while before you see any thickening and you have to use it regularly (3 times a week).

Here is an explanation of how it works.

I tried Nioxin for a while, it's a pleasant but expensive shampoo & conditioner. I think it has menthol which explains the cool sensation it creates when applied to the scalp, but it's really nothing particularly special. My next trial will be Aveda Pure Abundance, which I've seen getting good reviews.

CHINO: At my father's death, age 39, he still had a full head of hair. however, his brother, my uncle, lost all his hair on top in his twenties and my cousin in his late teens. I'm guessing it is more important to consider your father when looking at history, but i maybe wrong and you should consider a wide circle of relatives.

SPITFIRE: I know what you mean. i would never recommend this medication to anyone...it has caused me nothing but problems...to make matters worse i only saw slight improvements in my acne when using it. i saw my hair falling out within 4-6 weeks...i seemed to have far quicker reaction to it than you. Are you in the same position as me?...thin on top but only slightly, only you/people close to you can realise it?

Hello mate,sorry for the late reply,yeah seem to be like you,i have thick hair with a slightly high forehead(family trait so not worried),i already had a double crown which was weakened when i cracked my head open twice in seperate accidents!,once i got on those acne tablets my hair started to fall out at the crown and i have two thin patches eithier side which have never come back.When my current GP found out what i'd been taking on prescription from my former GP he looked shocked!,yeah only people close really notice but people have been telling me im going bald for 5 years now and i've barely lost anymore,if you still have acne problems mate ask your GP for ERTHROMYCIN 250mg,it takes it's time and the tablets taste funny but there are no hair loss side effects. :)

Did your father die of an illness at age 39? Perhaps you are in danger of inheriting something worse than than a bald head :) (my father died aged 37 and I'm still sort of alive at age 46, so not to worry too much :lol: )

PB_: I'm actually going to give nanothick a try, i hope to see some results with it, but as you mentioned that only you could see the difference - that's absolutely fine with me. You see, i used to have shoulder length hair at the time when my hair started to fall out and i decided to get it all shaved off in hope that my hair would come back stronger and thicker, so i could grow it long again. But it never happened. My hope is to eventually grow it long again, maybe not shoulder length, with hopefully no real patches of the scalp showing. Could i ask, 1) how long it was before you saw results? 2) How long will a bottle (200ml) last me, applying 3 times a week, so i know how many to get before i am likely to see results? 3) as i mentioned, i use nizoral shampoo to fight my dandruff, will nanothick be ok to use with nizoral?

My father actually passed away due to a heart attack, he was quite a heavy smoker. This has led me to avoid cigarettes and keep a healthy lifestyle, much to my mothers joy.

SPITFIRE: My acne has actually got alot better now, thanks to this website www.acne.org which emphasises the importance of Benzoyl Peroxide. I have'nt had an acne break out for some time now, the only thing that bothers me are the redmarks the spots have left behind. But thankfully, they seem to be clearing too, slowly, but nonetheless clearing with a little help from Bio Oil.

PB_: I'm actually going to give nanothick a try, i hope to see some results with it, but as you mentioned that only you could see the difference - that's absolutely fine with me. You see, i used to have shoulder length hair at the time when my hair started to fall out and i decided to get it all shaved off in hope that my hair would come back stronger and thicker, so i could grow it long again. But it never happened. My hope is to eventually grow it long again, maybe not shoulder length, with hopefully no real patches of the scalp showing. Could i ask, 1) how long it was before you saw results? 2) How long will a bottle (200ml) last me, applying 3 times a week, so i know how many to get before i am likely to see results? 3) as i mentioned, i use nizoral shampoo to fight my dandruff, will nanothick be ok to use with nizoral?

My father actually passed away due to a heart attack, he was quite a heavy smoker. This has led me to avoid cigarettes and keep a healthy lifestyle, much to my mothers joy.

I'm sure I noticed a difference after only using it once, but in the instructions is says it takes a week or two to "build up". I'm still on my first bottle, so I don't know how long it will last - I don't have much hair so I only use a small amount/wash. I ordered two bottles as it worked out slightly cheaper. You will definitely see results before you use one bottle - 200ml will last months, it only takes a very small amount to build up a thick lather. After applying Nanothik, I use a comb to make sure it reaches every hair from scalp to tip of hair and then massage once again to build up a good lather all over - leave it for two minutes, then rinse. I suspected that all thickener shampoos were causing my hair to become frazzled-looking but I now think it was just because my hair was too long - after getting a haircut, it's no longer frazzled. I don't know for sure about the Nizoral/Nanothik combination but I shouldn't think there will be a problem seeing as Nizoral is a shampoo and treats your scalp and Nanothik is in place of a conditioner and works on the hair only. Also seeing as neither are to be used daily, you could alternate with Nizoral and Nanothik on different days if you wash your hair daily.

Good plan to avoid cigarettes BTW ;) I have never smoked and avoid other people's cigarette smoke always when possible. My father was a smoker and died of cancer.

PB_: you didn't notice any shedding when using this conditioner did you?...i've heard some people mention in the past that it can sometimes happen.

No shedding and I was looking out for it... The only negative thing I've found about Nanothik is that it stains the bathroom tiles with a reddish residue. The stains came off easily with ordinary bathroom cleaning products.

Great!!! I asked because, both my sister and mother told me that when they used conditioner they used to see excess hair fall out - it wasn't really a problem but they just mentioned it as i told them about nanothick.

will definitely let you guys know...should get it next week will use it for atleast a month and will get back to you guys with the results...i hope for a good outcome.

PB_: Just finally, i just want to make sure, apart from what you've mentioned before, there were no other side-effects/reasons why you would not recommend this, is there?

Peace!!!

PB_: Just finally, i just want to make sure, apart from what you've mentioned before, there were no other side-effects/reasons why you would not recommend this, is there?

No, it's not a drug... all it does is add some bulk to your hair and coat the surface of each hair. It doesn't attempt to "cure" anything. If there are sides to be had, believe me, I get them and there hasn't been any problem with Nanothik.

In fact, I'll bet you my car you don't have any problems with it :lol:

Don't get your expectations too high though... as I said before, it isn't anything miraculous, it will just give you the appearance of slightly more density... And it isn't going to make you grow any new hair or even prevent you from losing more hair if you are losing hair.