johnuk

Scalp Reductions

Dear All,

After encountering an unsucessful hair transplant procedure in March 2005, I am now considering a scalp reduction procedure. Does anyone have any experience of this, or is anyone able to recommend where I can seek further information? Any guidance / advice would be massively appreciated. Many thanks.

Dear All,

After encountering an unsucessful hair transplant procedure in March 2005, I am now considering a scalp reduction procedure. Does anyone have any experience of this, or is anyone able to recommend where I can seek further information? Any guidance / advice would be massively appreciated. Many thanks.

Hi Johnuk,

Firstly, do not consider a scalp reduction, secondly, why and who suggested it maybe the way to go?

Scalp reductions are an archaic form of hair replacement that never provided satisfactory results and more often than not only led to more problems.

You have many avenues to look at so I am sure massive improvements can be made; plug/ micro-graft redistribution, Strip open donor repairs, the FUE Technique will give options to you.

How many grafts and where were they placed, how is your donor....any pictures available to assess the problem.

Phil

Like Phil says, scalp reduction is out of date... However, the place I almost went to before I ran into Spex and decided to go to Dr Feller does a "modern" form of scalp reduction. Here's a link, not that I'm recommending it but if you just want some more info about it. In theory it sounds pretty good, if you don't have enough donor for a large area, you could have the bald area made smaller and then have a HT into that area. There are just lots of horror stories about scalp reductions. I suppose strip surgery is scalp reduction in a way, isn't it? You are just removing an area of scalp with hair instead of a bald area of scalp.

........I suppose strip surgery is scalp reduction in a way, isn't it? You are just removing an area of scalp with hair instead of a bald area of scalp.

The principle is obviously the same becasue you are removing surface area from the scalp. But whereas Strip is a linear cut from side to side a scalp reduction relies on the incision being similar to the shape of the Mercedes star emblem. This is so each edge can be brought together from the top and the sides; it is not just one linear cut along the top of the scalp.

It can not be stressed enough that this is a bad technique and never was any good in the first place; no different to flap grafting it has no place but in the bad past.

Phil

It can not be stressed enough that this is a bad technique and never was any good in the first place; no different to flap grafting it has no place but in the bad past.

Phil

Agreed... It would be interesting to know, as you already asked, who is still doing this and suggested it :o Is scalp reduction still common practice in the UK slaughter houses?

You can get much better coverage by taking a strip and dispersing the hairs at a thinner density. With ascalp reduction you can only 'close up' a very small area. It does'nt work with most m.p.b balding patterns. I mean if you continue to lose more hair you will be screwed! This type of procedure has'nt had the longterm success that HT's have thats why its so rarely performed.

PB that site looks a bit 'suspect' to me a nw6 getting full dense looking coverage with 2500 grafts and the guy with long hair only having 700! Most HT patients cant grow their hair to that length because they dont have the thickness to carry it off.

PB that site looks a bit 'suspect' to me a nw6 getting full dense looking coverage with 2500 grafts and the guy with long hair only having 700! Most HT patients cant grow their hair to that length because they dont have the thickness to carry it off.

The long haired guy has had multiple procedures. There has been a cock-up in the translation. On the original page it says he had 4000 grafts and in the English version is says 2700 micro grafts :huh:

Even with 4000 grafts it looks too good to be true considering how bald he was - unless he has a massive bald patch at the back that is just covered over with the hair from the front (there is a conspicuous dark shadow over the crown <_< ).

I am growing my hair to see how long I can get it. Haven't had a haircut since before the London meeting.

As many of you unfortunately know repair cases are very sensitive;

There are many types of repairs....from not too badly placed and minimum density graft distribution to incorrect angulation, incorrect temple point design, to plug grafts/open donor sites, scalp reductions and pittedness and inflamation of the recipient site.

What has to be appreciated is, like any H/T, it is very individual, unlike every H/T the person has endured a bad experience however you feel about your first/second time it is nothing compared to how a repair patient feels.

There are mixed feeling as to what the patient wants to achieve; first priority is to get back to normal, but there is still the initial wish to have the best result possible.

In mild repair cases most of the time a further procedure can be performed and no one is any the wiser; but in severe cases it can sometimes be the case of damage limitation. A bad phrase no one would like to hear, but sometimes true.

Repair surgery has moved on massively in a short space of time and some docs are performing minor miracles; what is important is the patient and doc gel together and identify the concerns, at the same time the patient listens to the experience of the doc to do the right thing.

Phil

Hi ! Thanks for your repsonses. Really appreciated and be assured that I have taken on board what you said.

In March 2005 I had the FUE procedure, and I think I had approxiametly 1500 grafts / follicles (?) transplanted.

Think I will need to keep on doing my research, though any advice is welcome.

In August I commenced propecia.

Cheers once again!

Hi JohnUK,

For the record 1500 grafts doesn't go far, and certainly would not rebuild a decent frontal area, assuming you are looking for a good/natural looking density. Dependent on where you went you may have had 1500 hairs as opposed to grafts which are made up of single and multiple hairs per graft.

From the angle of the first picture the hair line design doen't appear bad, so it would mean refining the design and then increasing the density for you. It's not obvious from the other pictures the angle of hair growth, if it ok then fine otherwise you may need some to be removed and replaced.

A reduction is most definatley not a word you should think of, you have many options open to you, dependent on your expectations these can be refined to what is best for you.

All the best,

Phil