Sign in to follow this  
faa

Minoxidil- Does It Actually Work?

:)

It works in that the manufacturers and retailers are making a fortune from selling the crap to bald suckers, but it doesn't re-grow your hair.

Guest headlines

The only way it can work is when used with a DHT inhibitor like Dutasteride or Finasteride, but never on its own

see- i thought that it was FDA proven to reduce/help hairloss?

Im on 1.66mg of Finn at the moment and i ordered some minoxidil- iv got it sitting upstairs and i dont know whether or not to use it

see- i thought that it was FDA proven to reduce/help hairloss?

Im on 1.66mg of Finn at the moment and i ordered some minoxidil- iv got it sitting upstairs and i dont know whether or not to use it

A doc interviewed for the Radio 4 case notes programme claimed that it works well for 1/3 of men, works somewhat for another 1/3 and doesn't work at all for the remaining 1/3 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/casenotes_20040106.shtml)

However, he also claimed the same performance for Propecia - which is wrong, Propecia halts hair loss for over 8 out of 10 men.

Other than financially- could i lose out by using the minox?

I did <_< I lost my money and my hair using that crap. Try it out and let us know (see you in the HT section next year :huh: )!

Minox worked on my frontal area, but only small thin hairs...when i started generic fin 5mg a day it made them slightly thicker...now i am waiting for dut to arrive, hopefully wednesday...i will be using 2.5mg a day when it arrives,and im sure that it will bring them out to there full glory <_<

Minox worked on my frontal area, but only small thin hairs...when i started generic fin 5mg a day it made them slightly thicker...now i am waiting for dut to arrive, hopefully wednesday...i will be using 2.5mg a day when it arrives,and im sure that it will bring them out to there full glory :o

2.5mg!!!! is that generic or real stuff? If so thats gonna cost a bomb!

faa, what did you decide on using minox or not? I got some foam this morning, and I'm not sure whether to start using it, if I did it would just be on my temples/just behind. What NW are you?

u are taking far too much Dutasteride if you take 2.5mg, u only need 0.5mg a day maximum!

I told him that in another thread m8, but he won't listen. :)

u are taking far too much Dutasteride if you take 2.5mg, u only need 0.5mg a day maximum!

I told him that in another thread m8, but he won't listen. :)

I think he has left the building B) He's probably gone bra shopping for his new titties :D

I didn't notice many people running to the defence of minoxidil there then.. why is it part of the 'big 3' if the majority have had a negative or no response? :D

I didn't notice many people running to the defence of minoxidil there then.. why is it part of the 'big 3' if the majority have had a negative or no response? :D

Good question, it should be struck off the Big 3 list :lol: - so should Nizoral, so that leaves just The Big One :lol:

How have the majority of people had a negative or no response to it? If it was the majority of people IN HERE, that's still not the majority of people... And in fact, it's not the majority of people in here its just a few, I count 1...

If people had good results with minox why would they be in here?

How have the majority of people had a negative or no response to it? If it was the majority of people IN HERE, that's still not the majority of people... And in fact, it's not the majority of people in here its just a few, I count 1...

The majority of people whos posts I have read on various forums regarding Minoxidil have said that it either had little to no effect or made the hairloss worse, if you can only find 1 person saying this then you aren't looking very hard. Do you really think that someone who was having success with a regime of medication would just abandon the forum without trace?? This doesn't make sense to me, surely they would be so pleased with the results that they would want to keep updated on further progress and proudly share their good fortune with others. I am still sceptical but at this stage have not counted out a trying minoxidil in the future.

The majority of people whos posts I have read on various forums regarding Minoxidil have said that it either had little to no effect or made the hairloss worse, if you can only find 1 person saying this then you aren't looking very hard. Do you really think that someone who was having success with a regime of medication would just abandon the forum without trace?? This doesn't make sense to me, surely they would be so pleased with the results that they would want to keep updated on further progress and proudly share their good fortune with others. I am still sceptical but at this stage have not counted out a trying minoxidil in the future.

I mean you said 'you don't see anyone running to the defence of minox' but in this thread, I read it briefly and only saw one person slating it while someone else said they had regrowth from it. As it happens, when people get results they tend to spend less time on these boards, lots of people nice enough to report back with success say they don't bother coming onto these boards much anymore, so it goes without saying many never do, but what I really meant, is that minox is available off the shelf, so when people first notice hairloss it would often be the first thing they use, without necessarily even finding these boards, if they are successful with it why would they even go on one like this?

Minox doesn't STOP hairloss, that's true, but it does regrow some and thickens hair up aswell, that is FACT proven by trials and countless success stories I have seen. Use it with fin, then you've got the cause of balness being stopped, and something to regrow. That's why it's in the big 3.

Chino stop being an argumentative d**k, it is each to their own but I can certainly testify that it did absolutely nothing for me. All we can comment on is our own experiences but if u speak to 10 people, 9 of them will tell u it is not great / useless! Spraying something on your scalp is not very likely tpo work and it costs a bomb to pay for all the marketing the company do. The only massively pro minoxidil website u are going to find on the Internet is their website

I'm not being argumentative, it's just that I don't think anyone new to hairloss should be scared off from one of the 2 drugs that have been proven to work.

Anyway, I've just started the new foam, have been using fin since febwith a few other things, so I guess in a few months I'll see for myself!

Please be careful when you start telling people what is FACT - no scientific survey has proved that minoxidil works in all cases, therefore there is no factual statement to be made. I believe the stuff made my hair loss worse and many other people have said the same thing. I dont dispute for a minute that it works in some cases, just the same as something as strong as dutasteride doesn't work in others but don't hold on so strongly to what u believe is scientifically correct.

In my opinion ver expensive and having spoke to 2 doctors about it, neither were massively supportive of its potentially poistive effect!

Please be careful when you start telling people what is FACT - no scientific survey has proved that minoxidil works in all cases, therefore there is no factual statement to be made. I believe the stuff made my hair loss worse and many other people have said the same thing. I dont dispute for a minute that it works in some cases, just the same as something as strong as dutasteride doesn't work in others but don't hold on so strongly to what u believe is scientifically correct.

In my opinion ver expensive and having spoke to 2 doctors about it, neither were massively supportive of its potentially poistive effect!

Lol, I spoke to a doctor and they told me there was nothing I could do, and I'd just have to loose hair! Anyway, I never said it works for everyone. But the title of this post is 'does it actually work', and the awnser is yes, but not for everyone.

Anyway, I never said it works for everyone. But the title of this post is 'does it actually work', and the awnser is yes, but not for everyone.

The answer to the title question is: Highly unlikely but possibly for some and it should be noted that it could and has made things considerably worse for some people :ph34r:

Yep I agree - a much better answer to the initial post than what Chino attempted to offer. And from what I can understand, until now he hasn't used the stuff. Just argumentative.

Lol ok fine, this really is a hair transplant forum isn't it...

I heard a claim that Minoxidil is reasonably effective for about 1/3 of patients, has a slight benefit for another 1/3 and does nothing at all for the remaining 1/3. Personally the idea of daily slathering my scalp with that sticky crap, in expectation of a very poor success ratio, is about as appealing as a vomit supper.