Sign in to follow this  
spex

Travel Info For Nyc

I get many emails about this and there are a few posts about it so i thought we could combine forces and all contribute and construct a useful list of info for guys travelling over to NYC in order to make their lives easier :)

Due to a number of recent UK guys turning up late for surgery DR Feller has stipulated that all patients stay in a local hotel the night prior to surgery.

Recommended hotels in Great Neck (near Fellers)

The Andrew Hotel 3 star

The Andrew

75 North Station Plaza

Great Neck, NY

516-482-2900

---------------------------------

Inn at Great Neck 2 star

Inn at Great Neck

The Royal Inn

1177 Northern Blvd.

Manhasset, NY

516-627-5300

---------------------------------

Comfort Inn Suites note: 8.5 miles away

65-09 Northern Blvd.

Flushing, NY

718-939-5000

If you have already booked your trip then no worries but word of advice

DO NOT BE LATE!!!!!!! Be there for 7.15am!!!

Please feel free to add to my list of info - I will edit it accordingly and add it all to this main topic.

Flights + Hotels

Travelling over to New York to see Dr Feller is very easy and if done right can be relatively cheap. Flights vary from £200+ depending on time of travel. Good websites for flights and hotels as a package have proven to be:

1. www.opodo.co.uk

2. www.expedia.co.uk

3. www.cheapflights.co.uk

4. www.statravel.co.uk

Recommended Airlines: Virgin, Britishairways, United Airlines

Hotel websites

Hotel prices vary also on time of year but generally a good quality hotel costs around £70 a night.

Good websites:

1.www.midashotels.com

2. www.hotels.com

3. www.newyorkcity.com

4. www.travelnewyorkcity.com

5. www.all-hotels.com

Recommended hotels In Manhatten:

The Park 79 Hotel 2 star

Hotel Belleclaire 2 star

The Milford Plaza 2 star

The New Yorker 2 1/2 star

The Raddison 3 star

The Broadway Plaza 3 star

Astor on the Park 2 star

Thirty/Thirty Hotel 3 star

The Bedford Hotel 3 star

I recommend that when travelling over to New York for surgery with Dr Feller that you plan to have your surgery on a Friday. This way you benefit from cheaper flights as you then can stay a Saturday night therefore flights and accommodation work out cheaper.

Fly out Thursday – Surgery Friday – Stay Saturday – Home Sunday

Manhattern

i.e.: Empire States building, Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, The Rockefeller Centre, Shopping!! Etc.

New York .com

Sights to see in NYC

Things to do in NYC

Travelling to Feller Medical:

Thanks for the useful sites Spex,

I noticed the 'thirty thirty' hotel mentioned on here the other day. Have you or anyone else stayed there before because that's the hotel i'm looking at staying at. Is it any good?

Cheers

BB

I have not stayed there but have heard its nice mate - link in above info

I recommended the Broadway Plaza but that was when looking for a "cheap" (by NY standards) hotel. Perhaps the recommendations should be categorized for poor and rich patients separately, as comfort and class will be more important to some patients than money. I was looking for the cheapest possible en suite room and the Broadway Plaza was excellent for that price range (3 star). If you're used to class and money is of no concern, you probably want to be looking at up-town hotels around the Trump Tower area.

ime staying at the andrew hotel dont know what its like

it came as a package deal, flight and hotel £650

would have been a lot cheaper if i stayed until saturday,

but couldnt due to work commitments :)

would have been a lot cheaper if i stayed until saturday,

but couldnt due to work commitments :)

Are you going immediately back to work after your HT with a row of 50 staples in your head and the top of your head shaved and filled with graft stubble ;) ??

Are you going immediately back to work after your HT

yes afraid so, back to work on saturday just 2 days after my ht

ime going to try to find a really big hat :) and try to avoid everyone.

Due to a number of recent UK guys turning up late for surgery DR Feller has stipulated that all patients stay in a local hotel the night prior to surgery.

Recommended hotels in Great Neck (near Fellers)

The Andrew Hotel 3 star

The Andrew

75 North Station Plaza

Great Neck, NY

516-482-2900

Inn at Great Neck 2 star

The Royal Inn

1177 Northern Blvd.

Manhasset, NY

516-627-5300

Comfort Inn Suites note: 8.5 miles away

65-09 Northern Blvd.

Flushing, NY

718-939-5000

If you have already booked your trip then no worries but word of advice

Tut, tut, naughty UK guys :) Were they all pissed up the night before ;) ? The danger is that if you just miss a train from Penn Station, it can be half an hour before the next one comes along - they didn't run every 15 mins as was posted here when I was there, they were every half hour.

If you had your consult in the UK with Spex and hav'nt met Dr F yet, it probably a good idea to have a quick recon the day before surgery to find the place. Northern Boulevard is miles long and has literally hundreds of businesses on both sides. (As I found out on the morning of surgery).

If you had your consult in the UK with Spex and hav'nt met Dr F yet, it probably a good idea to have a quick recon the day before surgery to find the place. Northern Boulevard is miles long and has literally hundreds of businesses on both sides. (As I found out on the morning of surgery).

Correct! I walked there the day before my surgery from Great Neck railway station. When I got to the crossing on Northern Boulevard, I coundn't see any numbers on the buildings so took a guess and turned left (I think)... I had probably walked a mile before I realised that I should have turned in the opposite direction ;) Good job this didn't happen on the day of my surgery. On the day of the surgery I planned to walk from Great Neck station to the clinic but I missed the train at Penn station by about 30 seconds and had to wait half an hour. So I didn't have time to walk from Great Neck station and had to get a taxi. Got there just in time. It's probably best to get a taxi from Great Neck station as it only takes 4 or 5 minutes by taxi (and doesn't cost much) - the drivers know a direct route that you would never find on a map and walking.

Another point to note is that the taxis only wait outside Great Neck station when a train is coming in. The second time I went to see Dr Feller for a consultation, I arrived at Great Neck early and went to get something to eat in Great Neck. After that I went back to the station to get a taxi but there weren't any in sight :) I had to jump out in front of one I saw driving past to get it to stop. When the train gets in there are usually plenty of taxis waiting but they don't hang around there once the train has departed.

Excellent idea!!! :)

Thanks for the useful sites Spex,

I noticed the 'thirty thirty' hotel mentioned on here the other day. Have you or anyone else stayed there before because that's the hotel i'm looking at staying at. Is it any good?

Cheers

BB

Hi BB

I have stayed at the Thirty Thirty, good location, ie close to empire state and walking distance to Penn although I caught a taxi over there and train back.

The hotel itself had big rooms with coffee machine and cable tv, a must. It was ok but pretty non-descript hotel, there is a italian restaurant in the foyer, but I didnt go in. quite a few bars close to empire state which were good (altho I couldnt drink!)

Didnt include breakfast but plenty of deli's nearby. The only thing I would say is that the hotel cost more than quoted on Opedia due to the different taxes quoted.

All in all a perfectly good base location to stay.

Hi Arcticmonk,

Cheers for that but unfortunately, due to my dithering fiancee, there was no availability when I eventually tried to book this hotel :)

I'm now going to be staying at the Hotel Metro which i've just booked. It looks to be around the same distance from Penn Station as the 30/30. I'll be doing a scouting mission the day before and a trial run to Dr Fellers office anyway as we're going to fly out to New York on the 8th Nov.

I'll be doing a scouting mission the day before and a trial run to Dr Fellers office anyway as we're going to fly out to New York on the 8th Nov.

Good thinking - don't be late on the day of surgery :)

I was just helping Badhairuk out by looking at flights and check this out!! :)

Outbound: Sat. 02 December 06 Inbound: Tue. 05 December 06 Highlight

Departing: 16:00, Heathrow, London Departing: 21:25, Newark Int'l, New York GBP 168.50 **Price per adult including taxes and booking fees

Arriving: 18:50 , Newark Int'l, New York Arriving: 09:05 + 1 day(s), Heathrow, London GBP 168.50**

Total price including tax and booking fee

Duration: 07:50, Non-stop Duration: 06:40, Non-stop

Carrier: Virgin Atlantic Carrier: Virgin Atlantic

Premium Economy may be available >

Boosh!!!!! ;)

post-17-1238486504_thumb.jpg

I'm not planning on taking any chances with trains... and going to get a Taxi from the Hotel straight to Dr Fellers door :) I was just wondering... can the Taxi stop right outside his building or do you have to walk a way after being dropped off? Just hope the Taxi isnt late when you call them to be picked up at the Hotel.

I'm not planning on taking any chances with trains... and going to get a Taxi from the Hotel straight to Dr Fellers door :) I was just wondering... can the Taxi stop right outside his building or do you have to walk a way after being dropped off? Just hope the Taxi isnt late when you call them to be picked up at the Hotel.

The taxi can stop directly outside the building, here (where that silver Merc is, or it can drive up the ramp into the car park):

287NB.jpg

You just have to walk up the steps...

If you are staying in mid-town Manhattan, the train is better and then a taxi because the traffic can be bad. Then get a taxi from Great Neck station to the clinic (takes 5 mins). A taxi will also pick you up directly outside the building.

wow.. exellent visual there on what it looks like. Thanks PB.

I have now booked a hotel quite close by so will see if its walking distance or not when i get there.. anyone know how far The Andrew Hotel is from the Clinic?

I have now booked a hotel quite close by so will see if its walking distance or not when i get there..

Good plan, I think I'll do that next time too. You have to get up early to get there on time from Manhattan and travelling back after the op isn't much fun :)

You just have to walk up the steps...

Its as easy as that - :)

Then into the lift, 2nd floor, turn right out the lift and walk straight to the end ;) - Feller Medical

291.jpg