Sign in to follow this  
ncfm

Proscar - 1 Year In

Hi guys, how are you all doing?

I've been taking proscar for just over a year now, and i'm about to order another supply (with plans to organise a HT at some point next year.)

Thing is, I didn't have a noticable shedding in the early stages, but over the past two-three weeks I've lost a considerable amount of hair, and it's getting very noticable. :(

Is this just a shedding stage, or are the meds not working as intended? I'm worried I might be wasting my money if I buy another supply. Kinda scary to see one year in!

If it's just shedding, should I expect to see some regrowth soon?

As always, looking forward to your input! :)

Hi ncfm,

Spex posted about shedding a while back, here's a link to the thread: Shedding

Spex says it happens and hair grows back. He's been on the stuff for years so I guess he knows what he's talking about (I don't use finasteride).

I suffered some shedding a while back after using Nizoral shampoo and it was enough to make me bin the stuff but according to others this is a sign that it's working and new thicker hair will follow :)

ncfm - Indeed bro don't stress too much as sounds like a shed. This happens every now and again :) Had a few in my time let me tell you ;) Just stick with it and ride it out :(

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I also just started using Nizoral a few weeks back after giving it a miss for 8 months or so...so that could have an influence as well then yeah?

hello guys i just got sent my proscar I was wondering the best way you guys split the pill in to fifths? Also do you take one fifth a day? Or twice a day i.e. am –pm. Thanks a lot for your help!

J X

you can split it into fifths if you want most people myself included just cut it into 4,you can take a bite like some do or purchase a pill cutter from a chemist,best bud just to cut it into 4,one quarter a day,day or night makes no difference.

all the best TBF

Hi guys, how are you all doing?

I've been taking proscar for just over a year now, and i'm about to order another supply (with plans to organise a HT at some point next year.)

Thing is, I didn't have a noticable shedding in the early stages, but over the past two-three weeks I've lost a considerable amount of hair, and it's getting very noticable. :D

Is this just a shedding stage, or are the meds not working as intended? I'm worried I might be wasting my money if I buy another supply. Kinda scary to see one year in!

If it's just shedding, should I expect to see some regrowth soon?

As always, looking forward to your input! :)

I'm having the same problem! I'm one year into proscar too (plus minoxidil for 2 years), and I'm losing hair again. I thought the shedding phase was supposed to be 3 months after starting treatment, not a whole year! It's kinda strange, cuz I didn't experience any shedding after 3 months of starting proscar. I'm worried the proscar just isn't working for me :s I will carry it on for another year though, just incase this IS a delayed shedding phase.

Input about similar experience would be much appreciated

Snow Predator

It sounds like you are just going through a shedding phase,i have been on pro/fin for three years now and once sometimes twice a year i will have a shed :huh:,i went through the last shed some two months ago and it lasted upto 6 weeks.

You don't just experience one shed - you will experience a number of sheds a yr - Some experience more than others! :huh: Just stick with your meds and ride it out!!

Many people that stop Propecia coz they don't think its working soon realise it was :P <_<

tbf, spex.... thanks guys, it's very reassuring to know that it's normal to have what I'm experiencing. But it seems kinda odd that we should shed multiple times in a year. Do we eventually experience more gain than loss? Sure hope so. What has your experience been over the years guys?