crabb

Ht Booked With Feller

Hi guys,

As some of you know I've followed this and other forums for some time now, although I rarely post. I thought I would let you know I am booked in for a 1500-2000 strip session with Dr Feller on 4th Oct 06 (a week tomorrow).

I have researched hairloss/transplants very seriously for the last 6 months on this and other forums. My decision to go to Feller is based on two reasons. Firstly, in all my research I have never read a negative post about Dr Feller or his work. When you consider how many patients he has had and how many posts are made from people around the world regarding his work, this is quite something, in my opinion. Secondly, the network of UK guys, led by Spex, surrounding Feller and his work is invaluable. Through Spex you can feel like you are in close contact with Dr Feller at all times without having to make trips to NY for consultations etc. Most importantly you can relatively easily see examples of Fellers work. I initially met with Spex for a chat, but also to see his hair. I then met Ian and Pete, and finally went to the showcase in Sept. Without being able to do this I don't think I would have felt confident enough about the possible results to book a session.

I was a very difficult decision for me as to whether I had an HT at all. At times I have been quite down about my hairloss but I think the fact that I've always had it in the back of my mind that I could solve the problem has kept my spirits up. If I resigned myself to the fact that my hairloss was only going to get worse from here onwards I would get very depressed about it. I beieve it would be a very very long time before I was comfortable with it, if I ever was. Faced with the option of either being bald and miserable or having a chance at beating/avoiding/hiding the hairloss I finally decided to throw all I can at it. My main worry is scarring and not being able to cut my hair very short in the future (my worst nightmare is looking like a bald guy trying to hide it!).

Initially I wanted to have FUE but after Dr Feller looked at my photos he said he didn't think I was a suitable FUE candidate (due, I think, to my hair type) and that I should go for strip. I am glad Dr Feller was able to tell me this in advance so I could make an informed decision, rather than arriving in NY expecting to have FUE and then having to make a snap decision once in Fellers' office.

I'm off to NY sat, and will let you all know when I have something to report.

I need to thank Spex for all his help as well as all the guys on this forum and those who attended the showcase in sept, with a special mention to Ian and Pete.

All the best crabb with your imminent procedure with Dr Feller. I too have been doing a great deal of research and have heard nothing but praise about the good Dr and also intend to see him for a surgery possibly. I only wish i had researched more initially and I could have saved myself the misfortune of going to a clinic like NHI. :ph34r:

On all accounts you are in the best hands

Thanks for the kind words mate !! You have been a pleasure to talk to and assist B) Really glad you got chance to make it to the showcase - Many guys found it so helpful - maybe you can help out by showcasing yourself at the next one :)

Good luck with your surgery and please keep us all informed - safe journey :ph34r:

I was a very difficult decision for me as to whether I had an HT at all. At times I have been quite down about my hairloss but I think the fact that I've always had it in the back of my mind that I could solve the problem has kept my spirits up. If I resigned myself to the fact that my hairloss was only going to get worse from here onwards I would get very depressed about it. I beieve it would be a very very long time before I was comfortable with it, if I ever was. Faced with the option of either being bald and miserable or having a chance at beating/avoiding/hiding the hairloss I finally decided to throw all I can at it. My main worry is scarring and not being able to cut my hair very short in the future (my worst nightmare is looking like a bald guy trying to hide it!).

I'm sure that most people feel like this and it takes a lot of nerve to actually make the desicion to get booked up. the whole sugery experience is a bit of an ordeal what with planning and post op recovery but in the longterm its a small price to pay for saving you the misery of spending the rest of your life with a bald head.

I think he must be :) Good luck mate if you read this before the op :lol: - Have fun in NYC!!! :D

Crabb's requirements ultimately warrant strip via Tricho closure - Strip is much better suited to meet his demand and goal. FUE is unpredictable as you know Gasman and not every patient is necessarily a suitable candidate and off Fellers great experience with FUE he feels that a strip session is a much more suitable option for Crabb for his first HT session. This way he will definitely hit the numbers he needs in one sitting 1500 - 2000 grafts.

Crabb also had the benefit of seeing various Feller Tricho scars at the London Showcase (well we couldn't actually see the scars ;) ) which only helped Crabb realise that Tricho was a much better option for him.

However much a patient desires FUE - it doesn't necessarily make them an appropriate candidate unfortunately.

Here is a post on a different forum discussing Hairrots large FUE seesion:

RodgerDodger

Accomplished Poster

"I'm a little confused here. I consulted with Dr. Feller about a month ago and he thought I needed about 2000-2100 grafts. We discussed FUE and he said he did not like to do it on bigger cases like mine. I just don't see much difference between 1821 and 2100 grafts so I'm hoping someone can explain it to me? Obviously, FUE is much more expensive. "

Dr. Feller

Accomplished Poster

"Roger,

I do not perform large FUE sessions anymore and believe such shouldn't be performed.

With current technology, FUE is labor instensive and tedious.

In my own practice I have noticed that I begin to burn out by the 800th FUE graft. Other FUE doctors have independently confirmed this upper number by themselves limiting their own sessions to between 400 and 800 grafts per session (closer to 400).

I am not a fan of multiple sessions (even though I admit I did this on hairroot) because if a patient needs more than about 800 grafts in total he is a better candidate for a strip.

For example, in your case, you are a young guy with enough hairloss to justify 2,000 grafts. If you need this now, you will likely need more in the future as your hairloss MAY be progressive. Every time you perform FUE, the donor area gets that much more difficult to extract from the next time. I have found that even a 1,000 graft FUE can tax the donor area enough to significantly increase the difficulty of extracting grafts the next time. 2,000 is almost guarantee. This doesn't mean it can't be done, it can, but the human factor becomes strained to the limit, a variable that seems to be ignored.

So lets say I did do 2,000 grafts on you, or someone else did. Five years down the road you may need another 2,000 grafts. You probably won't be able to get them out via FUE, so you would turn to strip anyway. Well, knowing this probability, why would you start with FUE? It isn't logical.

I believe FUE is an adjunct to strip procedure, not a replacement. Years of performing this procedure has proved this to me. If large sessions of FUE aren't displaying good results it's probably because the grafts become mishandled during extraction due to fatigue and the physiological limit of the donor area skin.

Take the DHI fiascos a couple of years ago. They did what looked like beautiful mega-sessions of FUEs that simply didn't make a significant cosmetic difference, much less even compare to a strip. I believe it was because the sessions were too ambitous and the number of grafts that could be safely and realistically removed too numerous.

Until proven otherwise on a CONSISTENT basis, I believe large sessions of more than 400-800 FUE should be avoided if strip is available, AND multiple sessions of FUE should likewise be avoided.

My basic philosphy is that if a patient needs more than 400-800 grafts he/she should have a strip procedure.

Rodger:

Thanks so much for the reply Dr. Feller. We went over this already, so I'm sorry you had to explain it again. I agree with everything you said, I was just impressed with Hairroot's results and had to ask. I guess what you are saying at base is that Hairroot's great results are not the norm for large session FUE. Thanks again, it was an absolute pleasure meeting you in person.

Thanks Spex.

With this in mind though I guess Im borderline.....

I've always wanted FUE and from meeting a few different doctors now and discussing where I would like my hairline I get the answer between 900-1200 grafts. As Im only 30 I will no doubt require further sessions of say 500, another 500, and another 500 grafts thoughout the rest of my life. Im sure this applies to most people considering FUE. Does this now mean I should be considering strip?

To be honest with you Gasman - you always need more than the quote hence why everyone always goes back in for more - No one just gets one session - and i persoanlly think from when i met you last year you were 1500 - 1800 patient, and you were opting for 2 sessions via fue - Your situ is similar to Crabbs requirements and Hairroots - Hairroot had 1800+ and is going back for more.. hair greed ;) Also Crabb just text'd me and his surgery went very well indeed with a 1800+ session via Tricho.

With Tricho you can get the numbers you need ;)

I was personally so impressed with all the Tricho scars I saw at the showcase that i am opting for Tricho over FUE for my upcoming session with Dr Feller. :)

Crabb is good - I have spoken a couple of times with him and he is back! :huh: I'm sure he will be informing us of his experience when he gets a min :P