Scotty

Dutasteride

This is a decision you will have to make for yourself. If you have already receded and your crown has thinned, then it's obviously not too soon (unless you are a teenager). Hairloss is progressive, I lost loads of hair in my early 40's (due to minoxidil) and now I'm well into my 40's and still gradually losing hair on my crown, so I wouldn't count on it stopping naturally. I don't use meds as they only made things worse for me, but others claim that they have helped them. If you decide to start, you will have to be prepared to ride a possible shed through. The only hair I can count on staying on top of my head is my transplanted hair.

I think its best to get on the meds even if they may cause shedding to begin with. With hairloss you have to think longterm.

as regards cost guys - i just bought 200 tablets for $180 is that about right. £100 for 200 doesn't seem bad from what I have heard but can anyone get it cheaper??

Anyone know where dutasteride can be purchased for a cheap price it seems to be quite expensive wherever I look, im on proscar just now and might try the dutasteride at some point. Also how often should you take a tab of either 0.5mg or 2.5mg, any advice would be great guys.

Cheers for the last bit of info

Anyone know where dutasteride can be purchased for a cheap price it seems to be quite expensive wherever I look, im on proscar just now and might try the dutasteride at some point. Also how often should you take a tab of either 0.5mg or 2.5mg, any advice would be great guys.

Cheers for the last bit of info

It's expensive everywhere; your main worry, if you want to take it will be getting hold of genuine product. Dut only comes in 0.5mg gel caps, some guys take 2.5mg but I personally believe such overdosing to be unwise.

im confused by this shedding situation, im taking proscar but have been told that regrowth may not happen. so whats the point in taking it if no hair will grow back surely the shedding will just make the loss worse quicker, what i mean is where is the advantage in any of these treatments if your hair could shed and not grow back??????

There is a slim chance of regrowing some lost hair, but the main point is to keep the hair that is going to be lost to m.p.b in the future. If you shed new hair after beginning to take the meds then it will almost certainly grow back and hair that has been miniturized by the withering effects of D.H.T will grow back stronger but just don't expect to regrow your old pre hairloss head of hair that you had a few years ago.

The main objective from taking propecia to to PREVENT further loss!!

The main objective from taking propecia to to PREVENT further loss!!

The results from the Propecia five-year study...

Measurements of hair counts in a 1-inch diameter circle in 2 vertex studies showed that ...

PROPECIA works for most men: Most (65%) men treated with PROPECIA at Year 5 had increased hair count, while all men in the placebo ***** lost hair.

Men who started treatment with placebo and were switched to PROPECIA 1 year later never caught up to the men who were treated with PROPECIA for the full 5 years.

The maximum improvement in hair count with PROPECIA compared to baseline was achieved during the first 2 years.

If PROPECIA has not maintained hair count or regrown visible hair within 12 months, further treatment is unlikely to be of benefit. Withdrawal of treatment leads to reversal of effect within 12 months.

At 5 years, the benefits of PROPECIA were also supported by:

Patients

Based on a self-assessment, men treated with PROPECIA reported satisfaction with their hair, slowing of hair loss, and improvement in the appearance of their hair.

Investigators

The majority of men (77%) treated with PROPECIA were rated as having increased hair growth compared with 15% of men treated with placebo.

Expert panel of dermatologists

Global photographic assessment showed that 90% of the men treated with PROPECIA had improvement or no visible hair loss (48% of patients improved, 42% had no visible hair loss) vs 25% of men in the placebo ***** (6% improved, 19% had no visible hair loss).

Each sexual side effect with PROPECIA occurred in <2% of men and was reversible during 5 years of use

In clinical studies of 1 year for PROPECIA, each drug-related sexual adverse event occurred in less than 2% of men. Discontinuation due to drug-related sexual adverse experiences was 1.2% in the ***** treated with PROPECIA and 0.9% in the placebo-treated *****. Reported drug-related sexual adverse experiences included decreased libido (1.8% vs 1.3%, placebo), erectile dysfunction (1.3% vs 0.7%, placebo), and ejaculation disorders (1.2% vs 0.7%, placebo), primarily decreased volume of ejaculate (0.8% vs 0.4%, placebo). Resolution occurred in the 1-year studies in men who discontinued therapy with PROPECIA due to these sexual side effects. The incidence of each of the above side effects decreased to <0.3% by the fifth year of treatment with PROPECIA.

My loss is just slight at the crown, my confusion is if i take it just now it sounds as if my hairloss will get worse, what i mean is, is this not progressing my thinning too quickly ie it sounds as if im accelerating my hairloss to the point where the medication can stop it going any further.

i dont want to accelerate it just now which makes me think i should wait till its worse?????

Does it not keep my hair at the stage it is at just now? im under the impression I will shed hair and it will not return to the point i am at just now which isnt that bad yet? and i want to keep it at this stage. if this is the case i would rather wait till its a lot worse and then start the med?

I hope this makes sense guys in what im trying to say

My loss is just slight at the crown, my confusion is if i take it just now it sounds as if my hairloss will get worse, what i mean is, is this not progressing my thinning too quickly ie it sounds as if im accelerating my hairloss to the point where the medication can stop it going any further.

i dont want to accelerate it just now which makes me think i should wait till its worse?????

Does it not keep my hair at the stage it is at just now? im under the impression I will shed hair and it will not return to the point i am at just now which isnt that bad yet? and i want to keep it at this stage. if this is the case i would rather wait till its a lot worse and then start the med?

Shedding caused by Propecia is temporary - you'll grow it back. It's not a case of sacrificing some hair now to save other hair later on :rolleyes: The longer you wait to start meds the more hair will be permanently lost.

Shedding caused by Propecia is temporary - you'll grow it back. It's not a case of sacrificing some hair now to save other hair later on :) The longer you wait to start meds the more hair will be permanently lost.

Ive been looking at other posts regarding proscar and people are saying they are experiencng sheds after a year and so on, to me it sounds as if this med just continues the loss process now and again, i hate to be negative but there is nothing out there that will solve the problem of hairloss. my crown has got a lot worse and there is no way i can get the hair back i had before starting proscar its too much. I will probably have to just shave my head when i can cover it no more, problem is ive had a shaven head before and it aint a pretty site. I used to feel good about myself with hair but now its very hard to be positive about my appearance.

ive just met a girl who is lovely and she has no idea about my loss as i disguise it, but i dread to think how she feels when it becomes too hard to disguise. Worrying about this every day is not good but as you may feel yourself its hard to see the positive in all of this.

Ive been looking at other posts regarding proscar and people are saying they are experiencng sheds after a year and so on, to me it sounds as if this med just continues the loss process now and again, i hate to be negative but there is nothing out there that will solve the problem of hairloss. my crown has got a lot worse and there is no way i can get the hair back i had before starting proscar its too much. I will probably have to just shave my head when i can cover it no more, problem is ive had a shaven head before and it aint a pretty site. I used to feel good about myself with hair but now its very hard to be positive about my appearance.

ive just met a girl who is lovely and she has no idea about my loss as i disguise it, but i dread to think how she feels when it becomes too hard to disguise. Worrying about this every day is not good but as you may feel yourself its hard to see the positive in all of this.

I think that in most cases fin/dut are beneficial in helping to halt/slow the progress of your hairloss especially on the crown area. What nw are you and how do you disguise your hairloss as I think that its more than likely that this girl realises you have some hairloss but does'nt mind it.

S.a.f. is right, Fin or Dut WILL work in the vast majority of cases. Shedding is simply part of the normal hair cycle that affects everyone with hair, not just men with MPB! The important thing is whether a new full terminal hair grows in place of the one you've just shed. With meds, the chances are very good. :D

As for your new girl, I think guys can stress too much about the impact of hair loss on their attractiveness. Vin Diesel is totally bald and I know several girls who think he's damn sexy. Jude Law is thinning at the temples but it didn't stop him bedding Sienna Miller, then cheating on her with the nanny.

Hair loss can sometimes hurt your ability to attract good looking women, especially if your hair was formerly one of the key features of your look. But your success with the opposite sex is more about your attitude, confidence, style, wealth, status, body shape and other aspects of your appearance.

Scotty a shedding phase is the meds working,its a case of clearing out what was due to drop out and the new hairs coming in,it can be a kick in the teeth as a shedding phase can last upto 8 weeks and you could go through it 2/3 times a year :blink:,last year was the first i time have had 2 shedding phases within the year and both lasted about 6 weeks each :angry: .

try and stick with the meds if you can ;)

I think that in most cases fin/dut are beneficial in helping to halt/slow the progress of your hairloss especially on the crown area. What nw are you and how do you disguise your hairloss as I think that its more than likely that this girl realises you have some hairloss but does'nt mind it.

My crown is just beginning to go thinner and lighter than the rest of my hair, the temples are receding which doesnt bother me, its just the crown area i cant stop looking at. Im embarrasd to say but what i did was tint the lighter hairs with polish which did disguise it a bit but how low do i need to go?

The girl im with doesnt see it yet i keep saying to her im going to shave my head but she begs me not to. The stress i feel lately is unreal, I used to get plenty of attention from girls but i dread to think what its like if im single. To be confident u have to at least like what u see n the mirror but with the way i see my hair going thats hard to do.

I knew id go bald as my father and all his brothers are bald, im only 26 and i didnt expect this till years to come which i feel i may have been able to accept a little easier. All my friends have thck hair and i cant help but feel a little jealous.

My crown is just beginning to go thinner and lighter than the rest of my hair, the temples are receding which doesnt bother me, its just the crown area i cant stop looking at. Im embarrasd to say but what i did was tint the lighter hairs with polish which did disguise it a bit but how low do i need to go?

The girl im with doesnt see it yet i keep saying to her im going to shave my head but she begs me not to. The stress i feel lately is unreal, I used to get plenty of attention from girls but i dread to think what its like if im single. To be confident u have to at least like what u see n the mirror but with the way i see my hair going thats hard to do.

I knew id go bald as my father and all his brothers are bald, im only 26 and i didnt expect this till years to come which i feel i may have been able to accept a little easier. All my friends have thck hair and i cant help but feel a little jealous.

Hair loss is stressful - we've all been there mate, and we all sympathise. At least we now have effective treatments; until 7 or 8 years ago when Propecia came on the market nothing stopped hair loss!

All you can do is use the meds (and maybe some topicals) and try to relax: you'll be doing all you humanly can do to maintain your hair.

Hair is not a defining characteristic of male attractiveness. In fact, physical attractiveness is not even the mainstay of a man's appeal to a woman. Evolutionary psychology plays a role here.

If you listen to a lot of psychologists, you'll here that women tend to prefer men who are about 5 years older than them, somewhat taller than they are, and have some kind of 'status', such as wealth or power (these can be relative concepts). Physical attraction is a factor but not as high a priority for women as it is for men.

Think about it: what is a man's instinctive reproductive priority? Instinctively if not consciously, men want to maximise their contribution to the gene pool by having as many offspring as possible. So they seek fertile women, and often as many as possible. Attractiveness is a rough indicator of age, age is a good indicator of fertility. So men prefer younger, more attractive women who can bear more and healthier children. But women have different priorities.

Females make a bigger investment in reproduction than men - pregnancy, breast-feeding and nurturing small infants are highly demanding and leave you vulnerable. This is why women are choosier about their partners - they want a man who will stick around and be able to provide security and resources.

just a quick update on me dropping the dut, i must say i feel much better since i stopped taking it, (6 months on), like i was saying in an earlier post i was feeling ruff as hell (like hungover all the time) terrible aches in me legs (calfs n ankles) n back , and overall just really bad , after over 2.5 months of it i must say i feel loads better , and cant really notice if my hair has receeded any further in the 2n half months discontiung(maybe very very slightly)... i still have 2/3 months of the official stuff (gsk .5 caps) if any 1 is taking this and its working fine for them , let me know u can have my remainder.

if any1 is taking dut (the official gsk stuff let me know) as im ready 2 drop a boxed 3month supply in the bin, as i was sayin b4 i was getting sides..... but ive recently been taking other medication for heitus hernai, really bad heart burn , n im feeling bit dodgy on that, so maybe wasnt the dut afterall, im just sensitive to certain medications, im now on anti sickness tabs to counter the medicin f the heartburn. , Any way if any1 is on dut let me know u can have it f free.my hair has prolly receded slightly since stopping it 4 months ago, but i just cudnt hack the way i was feeling.

Anyone ever heard or tried Follipro I read about this but dunno if its just another scam or not.

Ive been on proscar now for around 5months but the loss continues, I am tempted to try dutasteride again but until these has bee extensive testing i am unsure. I did start it b4 but got a nasty rash on my face. I had been taking a 0.5mg capsule evry day so i dont know if I was taking it too much, no1 advised me.

Also tried toppik as a concealer which has a good effect, but witht the hair loss getting owrse its getting harder to disguise. I do use a wax in my hair as well to style it but every time i go in the shower the hair seems to be sheeding more where it is thinner, cant help but panic every time this happens.

Anyone ever heard or tried Follipro I read about this but dunno if its just another scam or not.

I'm not encouraged by this find - http://www.skinbiology.com/notice.html

But then again copper peptides are a kosher treatment. Apparently Tricomin, another peptide product, did about as well as Minoxidil 2% in FDA stage II trials.

Ive been on proscar now for around 5months but the loss continues, I am tempted to try dutasteride again but until these has bee extensive testing i am unsure. I did start it b4 but got a nasty rash on my face. I had been taking a 0.5mg capsule evry day so i dont know if I was taking it too much, no1 advised me.

2.5mg of dut does seem to regrow about 11-12% more hair than 0.5mg per day, but with that kind of dosage you're looking at a pricey treatment, and you're more likely to get side effects.

post-276-1174500201_thumb.jpg

I'm not encouraged by this find - http://www.skinbiology.com/notice.html

But then again copper peptides are a kosher treatment. Apparently Tricomin, another peptide product, did about as well as Minoxidil 2% in FDA stage II trials.

2.5mg of dut does seem to regrow about 11-12% more hair than 0.5mg per day, but with that kind of dosage you're looking at a pricey treatment, and you're more likely to get side effects.

Thanks,

Do you know of any good shampoos that can help hair growth I cant seem to get any info?

Do you know of any good shampoos that can help hair growth I cant seem to get any info?

Don't expect miracles from a shampoo though. It's the weakest part of any anti-hair loss regimen.

Don't expect miracles from a shampoo though. It's the weakest part of any anti-hair loss regimen.

Cheers i will look into it.

Im thinking of coming off this proscar im not seeing any benefit from it, my crown is getting worse, the problem is how can u really tell if its the medication that is having a negative effect or its just natural loss???

I think the only real option I have is a HT but im in the UK and also its really expensive from what i hear.Some of the results look great pity there nothing in the UK.

Im thinking of coming off this proscar im not seeing any benefit from it, my crown is getting worse, the problem is how can u really tell if its the medication that is having a negative effect or its just natural loss???

I think the only real option I have is a HT but im in the UK and also its really expensive from what i hear.Some of the results look great pity there nothing in the UK.

How long have you been taking the Proscar? You know that it's at least 6 months, preferably a whole year, before you can evaluate its effectiveness properly? Hair only grows about 1/2 inch per month.

Studies suggest that in two-thirds of men who take finasteride there is some hair re-growth. In the remaining third there is no hair re-growth, but most do not experience any further hair loss. I'd be surprised if fin isn't working for you to some extent, even if it's not noticeable yet.

If fin isn't giving the results you're after you could either try adding Rogaine foam to the mix and/or replacing fin with Dutasteride.

How long have you been taking the Proscar? You know that it's at least 6 months, preferably a whole year, before you can evaluate its effectiveness properly? Hair only grows about 1/2 inch per month.

Studies suggest that in two-thirds of men who take finasteride there is some hair re-growth. In the remaining third there is no hair re-growth, but most do not experience any further hair loss. I'd be surprised if fin isn't working for you to some extent, even if it's not noticeable yet.

If fin isn't giving the results you're after you could either try adding Rogaine foam to the mix and/or replacing fin with Dutasteride.

Ive been on it for around 5months, but the thinning on my crown is far worse now. its hard to tell if stopping it would be better, i sometimes wonder if taking a medication like this is just accelerating the loss.

I did try minoxidil but it irritated my scalp so i had to stop.

I also read an article about stress and how that can cause hair loss. I must admit I do get really stressed all the time and worry a hell of a lot. The problem is beacuse Im losing my hair my stress levels have soared and its all i can think about. I went to the doc about this but all they do is offer u meds and im too paranoid about them causing more loss.

To me and obviously yourself your hair means a lot, and to see this happening is really stressful and destroys my self esteem. I see bald guys about every day and I feel bad for them as it doesnt look good and im gonna go that way. I used to get plenty attention from the opposite sex, I tried shaving my head but the attention just stopped bascially. I could accept the hair loss more if i Was in my late 30's but im only 27 and is a scary situation to be in.

Ive been on it for around 5months, but the thinning on my crown is far worse now. its hard to tell if stopping it would be better, i sometimes wonder if taking a medication like this is just accelerating the loss.

It is 'kosher' Proscar from Dr Ashcroft, right? If it's the genuine article it certainly won't accelerate hair loss. I still think 5 months is a little early; give it a year - in fact an article in the BMJ journal recommended 24 months!

I did try minoxidil but it irritated my scalp so i had to stop.

The lotion or the new Rogaine foam?

I also read an article about stress and how that can cause hair loss. I must admit I do get really stressed all the time and worry a hell of a lot. The problem is beacuse Im losing my hair my stress levels have soared and its all i can think about. I went to the doc about this but all they do is offer u meds and im too paranoid about them causing more loss.

Yes stress can cause hair loss, but that's not the same as male pattern baldness.

To me and obviously yourself your hair means a lot, and to see this happening is really stressful and destroys my self esteem. I see bald guys about every day and I feel bad for them as it doesnt look good and im gonna go that way. I used to get plenty attention from the opposite sex, I tried shaving my head but the attention just stopped bascially. I could accept the hair loss more if i Was in my late 30's but im only 27 and is a scary situation to be in.

Yes I like having hair and I dread losing it. But none of us is ever going to get their teenage hairline back, and a little recession at the temples can even look cool - think Jude Law. In fact some women prefer bald guys.

If you're on the Big 3 or the "Huge 3" (Dut instead of Fin) you're doing all you can. If you feel you need even MORE you can get Tricomin or something as well - some guys have very complex regimens! Further down the line you could even speak to Spex about a HT.

Pondle,

Its not Dr Ashcrofts I am using I was getting it in the From a contact in the UK i have, the pill looks exactly like proscar. How much is dr ashcrofts stuff and where can i get my hnads on it??

I used the minox solution, does the foam work well? I did read one comment claiming that it made the hairloss worse and never recovered.

Pondle,

Its not Dr Ashcrofts I am using I was getting it in the From a contact in the UK i have, the pill looks exactly like proscar. How much is dr ashcrofts stuff and where can i get my hnads on it??

I used the minox solution, does the foam work well? I did read one comment claiming that it made the hairloss worse and never recovered.

Scotty, are you British? If you're based outside the UK, Dr Ashcroft won't be able to post to you. His contact details are on Spex's website, here - http://www.hairhelp.myzen.co.uk/?q=node/7

As Spex says a 15 month supply is £120, so at £8 per month you can't lose.

I've only recently started to use the Rogaine foam, and it's making me shed big-time. But perhaps I should accept that. If the foam is stimulating growth it will push out older hairs in the telogen (dormant) phase to make way for new hairs.

Pondle,

Scotty, are you British? If you're based outside the UK, Dr Ashcroft won't be able to post to you. His contact details are on Spex's website, here - http://www.hairhelp.myzen.co.uk/?q=node/7

As Spex says a 15 month supply is £120, so at £8 per month you can't lose.

I've only recently started to use the Rogaine foam, and it's making me shed big-time. But perhaps I should accept that. If the foam is stimulating growth it will push out older hairs in the telogen (dormant) phase to make way for new hairs.

Hi Pondle,

Yes I am based in th UK would this prevent me getting the Proscar?

The shedding your having with minox, do you not think its a risk of more hair loss and nothing else grows back at all?