drumnbass22

********* Centre

How you doing, first time i've posted here.

I had a trico-check at the ********* centre in London the other day. They prescribed me combined propecia and 12.5% minoxidil. The best price they could do it at is 1200 pounds for a year, thats about US$2000. Does this seem expensive?

Also does anybody know if propecia is any better/different than generic finastiride? cause by the look of it I can get that for a lot less.

Any comments help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

The ********* Centre is a scam - you will get well and truely ripped off. If you really believe in minoxidil and finasteride, look at Spex's site for the cheapest way to get it. Of course you may be rich and enjoy throwing money around for people to lick your ass and give you useless trico-checks etc. but if it's just hair you're interested in, forget the ********* :unsure: Or did you already sign up for a year's scam ;) ?

I agree you've just paid a load of money to be told what any guy on this forum could have told you for free. You're losing your hair for the same reason as the rest of us. Male pattern baldness is in your genes. You dont need a medical expert to tell you that. Tricologists can spend half an hour looking at your scalp and giving you plenty of scientific waffle, but at the end of the day the're just trying to flog their expensive treatments. I get my finasteride in the form of proscar from the Dr on Spex's website it costs a small fraction of what most suppliers charge for propecia and does the same thing. From what I've heard and my own experience minoxidil is also a waste of money.

From what I've heard and my own experience minoxidil is also a waste of money.

Not only is minoxidil a waste of money but it does more harm than good ;)

Hi,

was seriously thinking of signing up to the ********* one year scam this week. now i've read both your posts and checked some of spex posts it doesn't seem like a wise cost effective option. I dont have a load of cash so am definitly looking for something more affordable.

Can i buy propecia without a prescription? is propecia any better than finasteride without the merek brand name? why do u guys both advise against minoxodil?

Thanks a lot for your help boys

Can i buy propecia without a prescription? is propecia any better than finasteride without the merek brand name? why do u guys both advise against minoxodil?

Thanks a lot for your help boys

Finasteride is Finasteride whether it's in the form of propecia or proscar... Proscar is prescribed in 5mg tablets for enlarged prostates and Propecia comes in 1mg tablets prescribed for hairloss but it's exactly the same stuff. The cheapest way is to buy Proscar and cut it into 4 pieces. You could cut it into 5 pieces but I found that virtually impossible. You can buy it without a prescription but then you risk getting ripped off and not getting real finasteride. The best way to get it is through Spex's Dr Ashcroft who is a GP and will prescribe and post Proscar or Propecia to you. That way you are sure to get the real thing.

Minoxidil doesn't work for most people (even though they claim that it works for 80% of men!), it's messy to use, expensive and in my case, not only did it not work but it made me lose hair - permanently :( It can irritate your scalp causing more hairloss. Many men start finasteride and minoxidil at the same time and think it's the combination that's working but I'm personally convinced that it's only the finasteride that is working and minoxidil does more harm than good. After using minoxidil for about a year, your hair becomes minoxidil dependant so if you stop using it you end up a lot worse off than you would had you never used the crap.

I had sides from finasteride so I don't use any meds now. I just posted my remaining Proscar to Spex.

Again I can only agree with what PB has said, your best option is to get proscar through Spex Dr. I only wish I'd got on this stuff sooner as I'm convinced that for many people this treatment really does work.

I've seen guys who were receding in their early 20's have their hairloss halted completly. Tommy two and Spex for example as well as many of the guys on this forum, and in my opinion anyone who is receeding especially at a young age would naturally go onto lose most or all of their hair in the next 3-8 years.

I know that some people might be worried about taking a drug that is meant for treating benign prostatatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate) but its active ingrediant is the Finesteride (the same as propecia) you are only taking 1/5 of the dosage this is enough to inhibit the pesky D.H.T. I personally just take a tiny bite out of the tablet instead of trying to cut it into fifths.

In the case of PB he was unfortunate to suffer from a side effect but he's the only one I know who has so far. The manufacturers claim its about 2% who will be affected and any sides are not permanant.I've also tried propecia and avodart (dutesteride). But switched to proscar because the other brands are so damn expensive. And as far as I can tell I've never had any side effects.

As for minoxidil I tried it when my hairloss was at the norwood 2/3 stage. Ie just receeding at the front. I thought that it would halt any further loss but in my opinion it did more harm than good. I put it on my crown also (which was not affected at the time) as a preventitive measure and sure enough soon after I becan to lose hair on my crown and noticed an increase in the rate that I receeded at the front as well.

I personally just take a tiny bite out of the tablet instead of trying to cut it into fifths.

Dr Feller gave me a blade to cut my Proscar - I think it's a scalpel blade used for slicing heads open but it cuts through the tablets nicely - at least for cutting into 4 pieces (I wiped all the blood and bits of scalp off before using it :()

I put it on my crown also (which was not affected at the time) as a preventitive measure and sure enough soon after I becan to lose hair on my crown and noticed an increase in the rate that I receeded at the front as well.

I sprayed the crap all over the top of my head and I'm pretty sure it has made my crown worse too. I had a thin crown that had been fairly stable for years - I now have a very obvious bald spot there. Minoxidil is the worst thing I've ever done to my hair :( It only has a reputation for working because guys who have had HT's find it less embarrassing to say that their improved hair is from using minoxidil than admit that they spent thousands on a HT.

That place is an absolute joke! Went there about six years ago and sounds like nothing has changed. A ten pounds 'tricho check.' Then off into a room with a good salesman promising you this and that, trying to pressurize you to buy. All they can sell is minoxidil and propecia, which you can get anywhere really cheap. If you contact me I will tell you where I get both for less than 20 pounds per month.

What is 12.5% minoxidil? Haven't even seen this on the Rogain official site and they own the thing!

That clinic rakes it in, they advertise everywhere, all they can offer is the stuff you can buy anywhere. If they are so confident ask them to provide you with a guarantee that if YOU are not happy with the results you can get a FULL 100% money back guarantee! Somehow they won't go for it.

That place should be closed down! You didn't mention if you spent the money but I seriously hope you didn't. I spent about 700 pounds there six or so years ago. You are welcome to contact me if you want to. Regards, John.

I put it on my crown also (which was not affected at the time) as a preventitive measure and sure enough soon after I becan to lose hair on my crown and noticed an increase in the rate that I receeded at the front as well.

I sprayed the crap all over the top of my head and I'm pretty sure it has made my crown worse too. I had a thin crown that had been fairly stable for years - I now have a very obvious bald spot there. Minoxidil is the worst thing I've ever done to my hair :( It only has a reputation for working because guys who have had HT's find it less embarrassing to say that their improved hair is from using minoxidil than admit that they spent thousands on a HT.

Hello Drumnbass,

My bit of advice is also the same as PB's and SAF's,dont touch minoxidil like the other guys i also used it,i used it in the very early days of my hairloss,i started thinning the back end of 99 around oct-nov,so early 2000 i started to use it on my temples,it made my hairloss far worse i then went to AHS for treatment :( and they used it there on my temples and also the crown /back of my head as i had very early hairloss,it caused the hair to fall out but taking the bulbs or the very root its self.

I have been on fin/prop for over 3 years now,if i had the i/net in 99 and found out then what i know now and also found boards like this it would have saved me 1 my hair,2 many thousands of pounds,3 a lot of upset /sadness.my advice is get straight on the fin/prop,again like PB i did have side effects but they only lasted some 4-5 weeks and all works fine and well :(.

all the best TBF

Thanks a lot for the advice, really does help out and give me some of that elusive thing, hope..

tried calling spex doc today but always goes through to msg. Does he take calls in the evening? only at a certain time? real keen to get started asap!

cheers again guys, buy u a beer if this was a pub!

The doc is very difficult to get hold of :( I had to ring a dozen times before I managed to speak to him. He may be on holiday. Spex is away on holiday this week but when he gets back he will be able to let you know if Dr Ashcroft is away on holiday or not.

Hi. I have been on Spex Dr's Prsocar 8 days! Only side so far is extremely dry and irritable eyes!

Anyway, in response to the above post the good doctor Ashcroft is NOT on holiday. He can only answer his phone in the evening (well he is a doctor!), however, e-mail him and he should come back to you rather pronto!

Jack

Hi. I have been on Spex Dr's Prsocar 8 days! Only side so far is extremely dry and irritable eyes!

Are you sure that this is a side from proscar? I dont see any reason why it should be. Whenever some guys start meds they seem to expect to suffer from some form of side and if they feel anything other than good they blame it on the med. (A kind of negative placebo effect.) I've heard guys who get a cold or feel tired, headache, bad back ect and blame the meds. :(

Are you sure that this is a side from proscar? I dont see any reason why it should be. Whenever some guys start meds they seem to expect to suffer from some form of side and if they feel anything other than good they blame it on the med. (A kind of negative placebo effect.) I've heard guys who get a cold or feel tired, headache, bad back ect and blame the meds. :(

I know what you mean, I may be new to this board but I am certainly not new to this game.

I am actually one of the few who was 100% sure he would not get sides, judging on my response to other meds. However, the fact that people have been commenting my eyes are red and sore, and the fact that the itching started the day after I popped my first pill makes me think that this is more than a mere conincidence.

Jack.

Wow. Thanks for that. Great Find!

So, do you think this is a dangerous side effect to have? Could it possibly affect my vision in the future? If it is just the iritability I can deal with it. Just want to make sure it is not a serious side.

Jack

Doesn't sound like a side I'd like to have and it sounds serious to me, but I'm not a doctor so I don't know :( You could try getting in touch with the guy (Rocketman?) who wrote that article - sounds like he has thoroughly looked into it. I was reluctant to use finasteride at all but decided to try it in the end. The sides I experienced after 2 weeks of use were enough to scare me off it for good. But I'm a very anti-med guy and I don't even take the meds prescribed to me for other issues (eg. cholesterol lowering drugs). I don't trust drug companies; they'll tell you anything and manipulate test data and statistics just to make more money.

You did notice that the quote was also a link to the full story didn't you?

Yea I noticed, however, I can't open the link as I am at work and it blocks most things. Cheers tho, much appreciated. I will check it when I get home, provided I can still see. :(

Jack

Here's the full article :(

The following is from Rocketman, one of HairSite's long time posters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warnings about systemic 5 Alpha Reductase Inhibitors.

I'm 36 years old and have been taking finasteride (varying doses) and minoxidil to treat my diffuse hairloss for about 5 years. I regrew some hair and have managed to keep it status quo, up to this date. I'm writing my story to make others aware of what systemic 5-ar inhibitors may do to their long term health. The recent release of a more potent DHT inhibitor, dutasteride, has me even more concerned.

A little over 3 years after starting finasteride my eyes became quite dry and very red. I've seen a number of ophthalmologists regarding my dry eye condition and had to have punctal plugs inserted into the 4 drainage ducts (located at the inside corner of the eye) to conserve my tears. About 5 months ago I reduced my finasteride dose to 0.5 mg/day from 2.5 mg/day with no improvement obtained.

Research I have done clearly shows both the lacrimal (aqueous tear producing) and meibomian (produce oil) glands in the eye are under androgen control. The research shows testosterone stimulates, and estrogens suppress, their secretions. I had some blood work done and it showed high testosterone levels; estrogen levels were on the high end of normal. I read a study which shows finasteride and other anti-androgens can cause dry eye syndrome (meibomian gland dysfunction). Since my testosterone levels are high and I'm sure my DHT levels low (from finasteride use), it seems plausible that DHT has a direct effect on the secretions. Based on this and emails I have received from other dry eye (male) sufferers, I believe finasteride has caused this condition.

I also went to see a rheumatologist (responsible for managing auto-immune diseases) and had additional blood work done to see if I had Lupus, Sjogrens (auto-immune disease affecting the moisture producing cells of the eyes, mouth, throat, etc.), or some other auto-immune disease. My ANA, RF, SS-A, SS-B, and all other blood auto-immune markers came back negative. Unfortunately, these tests are usually not conclusive one way or another. Recently, my mouth has become drier and I'm getting concerned that I may indeed have Sjogrens.

Please note that auto-immune diseases affect women far more often than men. Also, research shows androgens may be an effective treatment for these diseases, which leads me to believe that many of these conditions could result from androgen deficiency.

We all have to make decisions in life and I decided to use finasteride to save/regrow my hair. Unfortunately, no one told me the use of this drug could have an adverse affect on my health. I'm not saying this will happen to everyone who takes 5-ar inhibitors (it hasn't to the majority of users to the best of my knowledge), but it has happened to me and others. Please be careful.

Best wishes to all!

Rocketman

PB,

Thank you very much for your time and help. It is most appreciated.

I think I will carry on for the forseeable future and if things don't clear up within 4 weeks I will re-evaluate.

Thanks again,

Jack.

Wow scary stuff :( I have to admit I got it wrong obviously I dont know as much as I thought :( I am also very anti - meds if its anything other than hairloss, but at the end of the day I'm sure 1mg of finesteride daily will have less effect on your health than say smoking a few cigarettes so I'll be sticking with it unless I begin to notice any definate problems. Wonder what Dr Ashcroft would have to say on this matter? Good luck with your research Jack, keep us informed of your situation.

Wow scary stuff :o

I could show you even scarier stuff about what could happen with long term use of finasteride... horrific slow deaths from aggressive prostate cancer that would not have been so aggressive and could have been treated had the patient not been taking finasteride for a decade prior to being diagnosed with cancer <_<

My father-in-law also came off his meds for an enlarged prostate (I assume they were finasteride) because they dried out his nose, throat and mouth... He says the dryness was worse than having to get up 10 times during the night to urinate.

Wonder what Dr Ashcroft would have to say on this matter?

He would say that it was nonsense and that there is no scientific data to back it up - as all doctors say... They also tell patients that statin drugs are perfectly safe - so what if a few die from extensive muscle damage, kidney failure and rhabdomyolysis <_<

Thanks thats cheered me right up !! :o

You're welcome <_< Who cares about a horrific slow death 10 years from now if you can have hair now? :lol:

I have just been to the doctor because the right side of my forehead was swollen this morning and my right eye was sore. There has been some discomfort in this area since just after I took Finasteride but no swelling until this morning. I was diagnosed with sinusitis frontalis, an infection of frontal sinus apertura. This can lead to meningitis which is serious. I bet this was caused by the damn finasteride <_< The doc said I will have to be off work next week. I've never had any sinus problems in my life before this. I hope the anti-biotics clear it up :lol:

Damn hair meds :o

PB you were on it a few days weren't you? I think your being very paroniod <_<

I have been on proscar a while now with no sides at all!