crabb

Fue Or Strip

Hi guys. I'm very close to taking the plunge with an HT. I've met with spex and spoken to a few guys but I'm trying to make my mind up on a few things and would really appreciate your opinions.

From speaking with Spex, who has spoken to Dr Feller for me I think I have two options- 1500 grafts via strip or 1000 via fue.

While strip will give me a better chance of achieving the results I want after one op there is the obvious issue of the scar. While I dont think having a strip scar will bother me in the next few years I'm thinking way ahead in the future and the possibility that at some point in my life I may decide to 'give in' and buzz my head (in my 40's/50's - -I'm 25 now). Obviously with a strip scar I'd be limited to how short I could go.

There's also the issue of recovery which I'm becoming more and more worried about, especially after reading certain posts like some of PB's.

The downside to FUE would be not achieving the results I'm after/could get with strip. There is also the huge difference in cost. While I know I should try and make the right decision for me without letting the financial side of it dictate too much its obviously a consideration. Also, I only have limited funds available right now and I may even have to go for fewer grafts than 1000 if I choose FUE. I can't really wait until I have more money as I have a bit of a window in my life to do this now and if I wait I may not be in a position to do anything for a year.

So as you can tell I'm a bit stuck as to what to do!! What do you guys think?

I see your dilema but if it were me I would go the FUE option. :) You maybe able to get more than 1000 fue in a one day session with Feller if you are a suitable candidate. Look at Hairroot who got 1200 plus.

This obviously will make it more expensive but worth it IMO.

Hi crabb,

At 25, and only needing 1500 grafts I assume you are late Norwood 2, early 3; and therefore it is hair line work that you would undergo.

You obvioulsy appreciate hair loss is progressive and at 25 you could have potentially a long way to go before it begins to plateau.

With this in mind donor management and looking to the future is vital to ensure you are not just happy today but like you say in your 40 & 50's.

Each technique has it's pros and cons; but it is safe to say that long term you will harvest more hair with Strip than you will with FUE. This is assuming you do not over harvest the donor area with FUE and stick to approx. 25-30% harvesting per cm2. This will ensure that there is no percieved density change in the donor.

I know this is easy to say, and money is invariably always part of the issue, but do not base your choice on money. Money comes and goes, but your decision will live with you for a lifetime.

Phil

It certainly is a tough decision. Fue is f*%^£ng expensive but if you have managed to halt your hairloss with meds then its probably best to go with it seeing as you dont have a large amount of hair to replace. I'm assuming that you are only norwood 2/3 as phil predicted. (Photo's of your current situation would be good). As quick says just go for the max amount that you can get in one day 1000+. If you do opt for a strip though I'm sure that on a virgin scalp Dr Feller could tri close a very neat scar that is undetectable at grade 3.

There's also the issue of recovery which I'm becoming more and more worried about, especially after reading certain posts like some of PB's.

:) ??

Do you mean the three/four months of waiting for hair to grow?

So as you can tell I'm a bit stuck as to what to do!! What do you guys think?

I personally wouldn't bother getting such a small amount done. I would wait until you see where your hairloss is heading and get a larger procedure done later. Getting a small procedure done at age 25, you are setting yourself up for a string of patch-ups that will end up costing you a fortune plus multiple recovery periods.

HT surgeries are developing quickly and becoming better and better all the time, who knows what will be available in 5 years from now. My HT was less than a year ago and I missed the trico closure; which is now standard procedure. I will now have to have another HT just to get rid of the scar from my last HT. Not that the scar is a problem for me really as I don't ever intend to shave my head but if I wanted to I couldn't with the scar as it is now.

Do you mean the three/four months of waiting for hair to grow?

I think Crabb is referring to your recovery period.

Thanks for the input guys, i'm def leaning towards FUE. Can't post any pics at the moment but you are right - I am around a 2/3 and it would be hairline work. My crown is thinning slightly but i'm hoping this will thicken up a bit with meds.

PB - I was refering to your recovery. Just seems from some of your posts you suffered with redness a bit more than others. Looking good now though! :)

PB - I was refering to your recovery. Just seems from some of your posts you suffered with redness a bit more than others. Looking good now though! :)

Yes, my recipient area was red for quite a while. The normal colour has now returned though. My scar is still red some days and not on others :( but it is only visible if I lift my hair up to check it. I have a scar on my arm that was red for years but it eventually turned white!

I sound similar situ to yourself but Im almost 30. Im definately thinking of FUE, but I am concerened about when to jump and take the plunge. The earlier I have the HT done Im thinking the more follow up procedures I may require if I suffer further haie loss. But at some point I will have to take the plunge. Its fine saying meds will stop further loss, but meds are in early days, no one is totally sure what the long term issues are say 10 or even 20 years in the future. Having said that for now Im on propecia, will decide when Im older whether I continue with it or not... Hopefully in the next ten years something new will come out in the world of stopping hair loss..... Mind you if that happened doctors would make no money so they wouldn't want that lol.....

I know what you mean about putting it off gasman but I just think its having such a negative affect on my life at the moment that I just want to try and make the best of my situation now. I agree we should be thinking about the future, but I also want to make the best of life now! :)

It is a tricky thing trying to work out when is best. The answer is different for each of us as it has to be a personal decission. I would suggest staying on meds for a further 12months... this will be the best form of damage limitation... If you still want surgery in 12 months then go for it....!

HT's will only get better over time... waiting a year would not do you any time. A HT is for life remember!

Best of luck though with whatever you decide?

If you're going the FUE route (like myself) who you thinking of going with? Feller? Cole? HDC? All three seem safe bets to me...

Gasman,Crabb, My hairloss started early at the age of only 19/20 and by the time I was 26 I was a norwood 3, this was before meds were well known about and I didnt know much about transplants either. So instead I just opted to buzz my hair down to grade 1. I kept this look for 4 years even though I absolutley hated it. During this time my hairloss progressed to a norwood 5/6 also my confidence and self esteem were at an all time low, and looking back I realise that I missed out on so much living. I know it sounds stupid to let something as (seemingly) insignificant as baldness get you down but looking like an old man whilst still in my 20's just seemed so unfair. I just gave up on the idea of ever being really happy.

The point I'm trying to make is we can all wait for science to develop a miracle cure (and hopefully it will!) but in the meantime we are missing out and some people could be letting life pass them by.

Everyone reading this forum is here because they are bothered about their hairloss and although probably not as much as I was but I'm sure you can all relate. In my opinion it's nothing you should feel ashamed about because having hair really can make a difference to some people. If I had my time again I would have got on the meds as soon as reached norwood 3 and if I was still losing hair I would have gone for a front 1/3 procedure with a reputable Doc (like Feller). At least that way I would have been in a better position and would'nt have let it get to me so much. If I then had to go back for more work when I was older then I would have been prepared to do so. Since having my surgery (even though it was bad surgery) I have definatly started to enjoy life a little more. Hopefully after seeing Dr Feller I can soon be in a position to have confidence for the first time in many years and a have a new outlook on life. :)

Just my opinion, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

During this time my hairloss progressed to a norwood 5/6 also my confidence and self esteem were at an all time low, and looking back I realise that I missed out on so much living.

Excellent post s.a.f :P I also thinned out young and it ruined my youth. Thinking about it that way, my suggestion of waiting 5 years wasn't so good :) I suppose it's best to get hair when you need it most, in your 20's, so that you can enjoy life and the MILFs.

Gasman,Crabb, My hairloss started early at the age of only 19/20 and by the time I was 26 I was a norwood 3, this was before meds were well known about and I didnt know much about transplants either. So instead I just opted to buzz my hair down to grade 1. I kept this look for 4 years even though I absolutley hated it. During this time my hairloss progressed to a norwood 5/6 also my confidence and self esteem were at an all time low, and looking back I realise that I missed out on so much living. I know it sounds stupid to let something as (seemingly) insignificant as baldness get you down but looking like an old man whilst still in my 20's just seemed so unfair. I just gave up on the idea of ever being really happy.

The point I'm trying to make is we can all wait for science to develop a miracle cure (and hopefully it will!) but in the meantime we are missing out and some people could be letting life pass them by.

Everyone reading this forum is here because they are bothered about their hairloss and although probably not as much as I was but I'm sure you can all relate. In my opinion it's nothing you should feel ashamed about because having hair really can make a difference to some people. If I had my time again I would have got on the meds as soon as reached norwood 3 and if I was still losing hair I would have gone for a front 1/3 procedure with a reputable Doc (like Feller). At least that way I would have been in a better position and would'nt have let it get to me so much. If I then had to go back for more work when I was older then I would have been prepared to do so. Since having my surgery (even though it was bad surgery) I have definatly started to enjoy life a little more. Hopefully after seeing Dr Feller I can soon be in a position to have confidence for the first time in many years and a have a new outlook on life.

Just my opinion, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Good post saf :)