Matt D

Back From The Doc

Hi all,

New poster but having been reading your post's since I met Spex at the tail end of April. I'd just got back from another un-enjoyable holiday feeling lousy about my hair and decided the time had come to take some action. Propecia had helped considerably but I wanted to look in the mirror without feeling depressed. I saw an advert for HT's in the inflight magazine on the way home and decided I was having a transplant . Luckily my research led to Spex pretty quickly and I made an appointment to see him in London.

Having made an impulsive decision Spex was invaluable, passing on his experiences and preventing me making a rash choice without seeing the results 1st. He did say other surgeons were on a par with Dr Feller so I didnt feel I was being railroaded towards 1 man, but Spex's hair made the decision for me.

I have had a whirlwind couple of months and managed to get a fairly swift appointment with Dr Feller on the 27th of June. Flew into JFK on the 26th and caught the train to Great neck which was $5 and a doddle. Stayed at the Andrew Hotel in Great Neck itself which was ok. Walked to the surgery which was about 20 minutes away (would have got a cab in hindsight) and arrived at 7:45am exactly. Dr Feller was waiting and we cracked on immediately. My initial assessment was for 2500 grafts as he believed he would only need to pack out the front.

6.jpg

However once the Doc had seen me and assessed my donor area he decided to go for 3000 and any additional he could get in order to fill right through the middle and into the crown. I'd initially thought the crown wouldn’t bother me but once I was there it seemed crazy that potentially the front could look great and wish I’d taken the option for the back.

And so it began, as documented the initial pain killing injection stings a bit but after that i felt nothing. I could hear the hair clippers and thought "when are they going to start cutting", they were but I couldn't feel a thing. Very surreal experience sat in the chair, couldn't believe I was doing it but the staff were great and I spent the day watching Wimbledon and the Spain – France world cup game. I think 3 pairs of technicians worked in rotation inserting the 3000+ grafts and other than sitting still for so long there was no discomfort and at around 17:00 I finally got a look at myself. This was a real shock as my hair had been shaved just leaving the long sides and back (The look id I’d always been dreading) and all I could think was I look like Andy off Little Britain! The bandages were still in place so when I got a full look I was more like some mad monk

The final total was 3400 grafts, here’s the post surgery photo's

4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Dr Feller was kind enough to drop me back to my hotel (the Crown Plaza at JFK ) which I was so pleased about as I felt a real freak and was sure I’d lose my cap on the way back. Still had the bandage with my cap perched on top, gave the check-in staff a shock. Once in the room I almost immediately felt a real pain from the donor area, I took the drugs I'd been given but for a while I felt pretty grim. Getting to sleep was difficult due to having to sleep sitting at a 45 degree angle. During the procedure a saline solution is constantly applied into the scalp incisions, this had stored in my scalp and was beginning to drain downwards so my head was obviously swelling and putting major pressure on the bandage. For a while I was feeling a great deal of pain but I pulled the bandage down onto the bridge of my nose which just loosened it slightly and the relief was instant. I slept ok then. These photo’s are the evening of surgery in hotel room

Evening%20post%20surgery%202.JPG

On the 28th I was up at 5:30am and off to JFK, luckily the hotel ran a shuttle so didn’t need a taxi. The airport was what I’d been dreading, especially the security but I wasn’t asked to take my cap off and the staples didn’t set the detector off so all well and good. Didn’t move from my seat the entire flight back, I felt very self conscious but in reality it was no problem. Drove home from the airport and had another fairly uncomfortable night. My girlfriend took the staples out after 9 days which was easy with the remover provided. Swelling was a problem in my face for about 4 days but only cosmetically.

Heres my photos since returning home

Grafts 3 days

Grafts%203%20days.JPG

Grafts 6 days post op

grafts%206%20days.JPG

Scar 6 days post op

scar%206.jpg

Hope this info is of use to you all. Will post the latest updates soon, the grafts have fallen out as predicted and I am in the well known anticipation stage. Big thanks to Spex for all his advice and support, I’d still be lost in the maze of options without him and have appreciated reading your posts.

Any questions fire away.

MattD

Hi Matt, congrats on your Feller surgery, 3400 grafts with your donor hair will serve you very well indeed, you have the worst part behind you for sure just the waiting game and the excitement of new hair to follow.

Look forward to seeing your updates

Great post and photos Matt_D! Looks like you got excellent coverage with those 3400 grafts.

Hi Matt!!

Thanks for the kind words!

Great post mate - i look forward to watching your transformation - Its going to be quite something!! :P

Hi Matt

Its gonna look good mate!

Great post it makes me want to go and have my HT right now.

Im penciled in for jan with Feller. My hair is thinner than what yours was on top and the doc has recomended a consevative 2500 on the front third but says i can go for more if i want.Im gonna try and go conservative all over for better coverage.

Did the doc go for the conservative look on yours Matt ?

The reason behind Dr Feller's assessment on going conservative was based around your personal request Stevo.

Matt,

Congratulations! Looks like you have a lot to be happy about, and even more so in the coming months! I had a great experience with Dr. Feller too, a month and a day ago, and am also in that "waiting" stage.

Grow like hell!

Benjamin

With matts (bushy) type of hair I think that these 3400 grafts should see him set for life. Even if his M.P.B continues I think he'll always have coverage even if it all starts to go thin I reckon that would be in the very distant future. Congrats Matt and well done for finding spex and doing your research.

Ps Scar looks good thin with no shockloss.

The reason behind Dr Feller's assessment on going conservative was based around your personal request Stevo.

Just wondering wether matts grafts were placed conservative to give me an idea of how many grafts id need if i was to cover the top of my head and not just the front third

Matt had 3400 grafts distributed over a relatively large surface area - This was a more conservative plant.

Matts characteristics will certianly aid his final result - ideal characteristics! :huh:

Thanks for the messages guys, much appreciated.

Not much change at the moment, the scar is looking better, a little tender still but the tightness is almost gone. Used Aloe Vera shampoo and gel and have not experienced too much itching. Taking MSM and Dutasteride which I'm hoping will speed things along.

In response to Steveo's question, Dr Fellers view was different when he saw me in the flesh and his initial assessment of 2500 grafts changed to 3000+. Density was never discussed, It was a case take the donor area, fill the front and if enough subsequant grafts had been extracted then fill in the crown. I wasn’t aware there was a choice of a denser option. I was hoping 3400 grafts would give me good density. I guess time will tell. Good luck with your's Stevo, its certainly an exciting time.

Will post updated photos for those interested.

Cheers,

Mattd

All looks and sounds really good MattD, I think your gona be one very happy man.

Good luck to you mate looks like your gona have a full head of hair again and you can go back to your childhood.

Grow well. :)

Matts hair characteristics will play a huge role in the appearance of density. Dr Feller will have certianly placed the appropriate number of grafts in order to enable Matt to have a very full dense look.

Dr Feller commented to me in an email that he wished Matt had been higher on the NW level as he could have got 6000+ out of his donor!! :lol:

Matt is certianly going to be a very happy chappy in several more months and its going to be exciting to watch the dramatic transformation! :)

Thanks Mat !

January cant come soon enough for me and i hope i can fill as much of an area as yours.

Keep us updated with pics bud.

Cheers

Stevo

January cant come soon enough for me and i hope i can fill as much of an area as yours

It will be here before you know it mate :)

Hi Stevo, can i ask why you are going conservative with you ht? you then mention you hope dr feller can give you as much coverage as Matt got.Do you mean you want a large area covered at a low density to give a thinner look so the change isn't too drastic or you are going conservative in only filling in a small area because you mentioned 2,500 grafts earlier in the post.

From my conversation with most ht docs inc Dr F they are not keen to give large coverage at a low density, Matt has got away with it because of his excellent donor hair.

Just curious as to what you are hoping to achieve

Hey Garageland !

My hair is pretty thin all over, so really what i want out of my HT is better coverage.

I want a decent hairline to frame my face and i want better coverage all over the top of my head if possible.

How you gettin on bud ? Got your Morissey quiff yet?

Thin density over a large area does'nt work (I had it done in UK) without a certain amount of density light will reflect off the scalp and make you look bald. Also hair is unmanageable Dr Feller will refuse to do this so if he's agreed to your surgery then you must be ok. Stevo I'm guessing that you're a young guy so remember to choose a hairline that you'll grow into (not the one that you had before you started to lose your hair).

Hi Stevo,if you were to put 2500 grafts over your entire head it will look alright whilst you have your existing hair but if/ when that goes you are going to have a very thin coverage that will make you look bald.

I wanted coverage but i also wanted density from my last ht, hopefully i will have a reasonable density but this has taken nearly 6500 grafts to do so, when i thought i was going to get 2500 i figured this would be best spent on the frontal 1/3 to give me a better hairline and look normal front on.

Your situation is different and if i were you i would get the 2500 or as much as you can and do the frontal third, this is the most important area...if the crown hair thins out i am sure you will be able to go back and do that at a lower density in the years to come....if you feel you want to.

What i am trying to say is that a very low density ht will not look good or natural (take it from me, i have lived this way for the last four years since most of my existing hair has gone), frame the face and get a decent hairline and then worry about the crown if it still bothers you.

As for the Morrissey quiff, ha not quite, but not giving up on it yet.

Good luck in Jan mate

Stevos goal is to create coverage in his first session and this is all dependent on donor supply. The hairline and front 1/3 would be approriately filled in and would be a priority - Then depending on donor supply the hair would be distributed further back accordingly to create greater coverage.

2500 is just an approx figure that would be distributed in the front 1/3 - Stevo is a virgin scalp and has a good donor supply so more grafts can potentially easily be acquired to create greater coverage further back outside the front zones to meet Stevos personal goal.

I'm sure that Dr Feller will appropriately distribute the grafts and make Stevo well aware of a plan of action for the future. Stevo and Dr feller will most certainly discuss the best approach once they meet in person and Dr Feller can accurately assess Stevos supply of donor hair and create a new head of hair to suit stevos goal based off it. :)

Cheers for the advice !

Theres a bit of a missunderstanding going on. the 2500 grafts that i mentioned is just for the front third going conservative.

I went to see Spex and told him what i wanted and that i wasworriedabout the scar left behind coz i keep my hair at the back and sides short. So i dint at that time want a massive session coz i wanted a minimal scar. Also i didnt want to go for pure density. Spex took a couple of pics and sent them off to Dr Feller and told him my goals.

Dr Fellers reply was. I agree with your assesment that 2500 grafts would be sufficient on this patient epecially if he wishes to approach it conservatively. This is a sensible approach. I will be able to distribute the appropiate number of grafts effectively in the various zones. I can pack his hairline enough to frame his face effectively and then distribute the remaining grafts in the other zones shown in the picture attached.

Depending on his donor supply which appears sufficient from your pictures i will potentially even go for a larger session if the patient wishes to fill in a larger surface area. I appreciate that the patient only wants coverage and not density.

Thats what the doc had to say and now im thinking i want coverage all over and not just the front third. I know im gonna need more than 2500 grafts and thats why i was looking at Mattscoz he was in a simillar situ to me.

Cheers again lads

Stevo