HDC

Repair Case; Redisribution Of Plugs With Fue & Body Hair

post-261-1152112288_thumb.jpg

post-261-1152112317_thumb.jpg post-261-1152112348_thumb.jpg 50 BH patch test six months post op

post-261-1152112401_thumb.jpg Donor Healing post test 6 months

post-261-1152112436_thumb.jpg Body Donor Area post-261-1152112468_thumb.jpg Recipient Area pre BH Op

post-261-1152112527_thumb.jpg 1500 BH placement in recipient area

post-261-1152112589_thumb.jpg Extraction of BH

post-261-1152112620_thumb.jpg post-261-1152112643_thumb.jpg 1500 BH 6 months post op

post-261-1152112724_thumb.jpg 8 months post op, distribution of plugs using FUE

Phil

Hi Phil thanks for posting these they are very interesting, i have some questions if you don't mind

Was his donor used up by the previous plug extractions? if not why not use that?

Is the 8 months pic just his exsisting plugs redristributed, if so, good job, it has at least given him a normal looking head

The test 50 bht patch, proves that bh will grow and longer than it would on a chest, but even these pics reveal the yield to be less than 50%, i would say there are 20 hairs there at most, would you agree?

The 6 months pics of the 1500 have grown and i suppose it is too early to judge them, does bh take longer to grow and mature than normal scalp hair?

Have you ever put bh into scar tissue and if so what were your findings?

Sorry for all the questions and i am not picking holes in these pics as i am sure the poor guy is well happy to look normal again, but bht does interest me as i have an abundant supply of chest hair.

Thanks

Hi Garageland,

I will post pictures of his donor tomorrow; basically it had been massively compromised, "open donor area", and although you could argue there was more to be taken; you could also argue the reasons for not.....pictures tomorrow.

The plug redistribution was aided by approximately 200 FUE' but mainly plug redistribution.

The BH yield agreed is approximately 50%; but remember these were taken at the six months mark; we do not predict much more than that with scalp hair.

I think it is realistic to assume that scalp hair responds more favourably to transplanting than body hair. Does it scalp grow quicker and mature faster...I think the answer must be yes.

We have recently worked on two very interesting cases; one with poor yield from two strips; placing more FUE and BH in inflamed skin tissue; and the second on a scalp that had gone through 17! yes 17! ops over about 25 years. Unfortunately way to early to post about those yet.

I'll update tomorrow

Phil

Hi Garageland,

I will post pictures of his donor tomorrow; basically it had been massively compromised, "open donor area", and although you could argue there was more to be taken; you could also argue the reasons for not.....pictures tomorrow.

The plug redistribution was aided by approximately 200 FUE' but mainly plug redistribution.

The BH yield agreed is approximately 50%; but remember these were taken at the six months mark; we do not predict much more than that with scalp hair.

I think it is realistic to assume that scalp hair responds more favourably to transplanting than body hair. Does it scalp grow quicker and mature faster...I think the answer must be yes.

We have recently worked on two very interesting cases; one with poor yield from two strips; placing more FUE and BH in inflamed skin tissue; and the second on a scalp that had gone through 17! yes 17! ops over about 25 years. Unfortunately way to early to post about those yet.

I'll update tomorrow

Phil

We have a protocol that we follow. Body hair is a last resort and only considered if all avenues have been exhausted. I believe donor management and the use of BH is only undertaken after extensive education of the patient.

It is ethical to always patch test a small amount of BH and look at the yield potential at about six months before any decision is made to continue.

This patient will come in three months to continue more BH transplant. Thanks Phil for posting those pics

Pictures of the donor area. You can see that it has been massivley compromised; know as an "open donor"; the entire area has been over harvested.

post-261-1152186603_thumb.jpg post-261-1152186591_thumb.jpg

post-261-1152186571_thumb.jpg post-261-1152186615_thumb.jpg

post-261-1152186627_thumb.jpg post-261-1152186644_thumb.jpg

Phil

Hi Phil/Dr B.. Your findings into BHT on scars would be interesting although I wouldn't consider it as a viable option due to the current expectations on BH yields.

BAL,

I wouldn't argue with you; All other avenues must be exhausted. It's only relatively recently FUE scalp are being placed in scar tissue with some success; and I've not seen any documented cases of Triclosure on repairing old strip scars; so all being equal there's a long way to go.

Phil

Thankyou for the pictures. I'm a bit confused though... i will have another view and try get my head round it :)

Out of interest what did this patient pay for that number of BHT?

Pictures of the donor area. You can see that it has been massivley compromised; know as an "open donor"; the entire area has been over harvested.

post-261-1152186603_thumb.jpg post-261-1152186591_thumb.jpg

post-261-1152186571_thumb.jpg post-261-1152186615_thumb.jpg

post-261-1152186627_thumb.jpg post-261-1152186644_thumb.jpg

Phil

That's the back of my head pictured above.

I have had 16 prior hair transplants since 1982. My scalp is an example of the evolution of methods, from early 4mm plugs, minis, micros, slot graphs, and refined ultra grafting. Ironically, after 25 years of transplants it is my donor that is thinner than my recipient and I believe body hair may prove ideal for these type of repair cases.

For my 17th procedure, I had 3,041 grafts (scalp 1,244 scalp and 1,797 bh) placed over four days by Dr Bisanga who extracted all of the grafts and placed nearly all of them himself. For this I was very appreciative!

Dr Bisanga used mostly .80 mm punches on the scalp with a 1 - 3 % dissection rate. A .90 mm punch was used for the legs and chest. We also did two small samples of fue farming and donor sealing.

Dr Bisanga used nearly 2,000 grafts to refine the hairline and temple points (hairline scalp hairs - temple points combination of scalp and chest hair). Another 1,000 grafts were used to fill scars in the donor. These came mostly from my lower legs.

I am under no illusion that 1,000 scalp hairs will reduce a bald area in the back of my head the size of 20 x 7 cm but it's a start.

For the entire procedure I paid slightly over 14,000 euros.

I found Dr Bisanga to be a truly talented surgeon with a passion for perfection. I booked with him because I believe his fue and hairline work is among the "best of the best" in the industry. The body hair was more experimental (although moving hair is moving hair) and I believe a talented fue surgeon can have success with body hair. (I believe this may explain why some surgeons who concentrate on strip are so quick to dismiss the potential of bh.)

It is my intention to document the yields and overall aesthetic results.

Orange Juice - I wish you all the best as you do truly deserve every success. :) I hope you keep us all informed on your progress as we will all be gunning for you!!! :D

Grow well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Spex

BAL,

I wouldn't argue with you; All other avenues must be exhausted. It's only relatively recently FUE scalp are being placed in scar tissue with some success; and I've not seen any documented cases of Triclosure on repairing old strip scars; so all being equal there's a long way to go.

Phil

Hi Phil, yeah I agree that all other avenues must be exhausted before endeavouring in BHT in scar tissue. I think if my donor area was fully depleted (lord forbid) or if BHT was more consistent, I may have considered it. However, I have been advised that FUE into the scar tissue would be my safest bet as scar revision could potentially lead to a uncertain result.

You said that FUE scalp are being placed in scar tissue recently and with only some success.. does that mean that this method does not produce the same yield as doing FUE to the scalp?

Yeah grow well Orange Juice, I hope your results are to your satisfaction :)

Hi Orange Juice, welcome to the boards, you are a true ht veteran, i am sure we can all learn from your experiences, looks like you are in good hands with HDC, i truely wish you all the best with your results, i would take my hat off to you but i am using it to cover my recent transplant :)