Sign in to follow this  
PB_

Ny Taxis

After my scary taxi experience during my first visit, I asked a bit more about taxis this time...

NY State law says that yellow cab taxis from JFK (I don't know if this is the same for all airports) must charge a flat rate of $45 plus toll ($4 at the moment) when going from the airport to anywhere in Manhattan. But the law doesn't say anything about going back to the airport, so when you go back they can charge you for slow traffic, waiting time and mileage, so it could work out very expensive. All the hotels have agreements with the black cabs (they are usually black Lincolns) that will take you back to the airport for a flat rate of $55 (I think it's $50 + $5 the hotel gets) and that includes tax and toll. So, get a yellow cab from the airport and ask the hotel to order you a black cab when you return to the airport. It took an hour for us to get back to JFK in the afternoon, the traffic was bad, so a yellow cab would have cost a fortune. I gave the driver a $5 tip and he seemed happy enough with it. It was a brand new Lincoln with air conditioning, leather seats, the works, well worth $60.

You can actually get one of the yellow cabs to give you a fixed rate - usually $50 all in - and they put their foot down. :)

Its always the way though isn't it - its bloody rush hour in New York when you need to get to the airport!! :lol:

We set off in good time so there wasn't any danger of us missing the flight. We set off at 2.30 pm and the traffic was bad already at that time. The receptionist at the hotel said that traffic starts to build up at just after 2 pm.

While I was in NY, it was on the news about a girl in a yellow cab and the driver put his foot down and the girl was sent flying out of the taxi and was hit and killed by another yellow cab taxi. The following day a ***** of 4 16 year-old girls were hit by a yellow cab :)

PB - Yes the cabs on the way back definitely have different rules, the pricing structure changed on the way back and when I complained they said it tariffs only appy from the airport into manhatton not the other way round!!

The hotel that I went to (Crowne Plaza) gave complimentary shuttle runs to the airport every 30 minutes which was pretty handy on the way back. The black cabs are much more comfy than those yellow cabs.

I have never had a problem with Yellow cabs. I once lost / left my mobile in one and the driver after calling home on it several times( Malaysia ) - drove to meet me with it. ;)