garageland

My Hair Transplant History

I am in the same boat PB , limited donor is a bitch! :ph34r:

It is! I'm very depressed about it - I want more hair :ph34r: !

Your hairline looks a little wonky though, is it just the pic?

I also noticed that the left side is slightly higher, but I presume it was the UK butchers that were responsible for that seeing as Garageland mentioned that the UK butchers placed his hairline too low. Once his hair grows out, I don't think the difference will be noticeable.

Hi PB, thanks very much, i am very pleased with coverage i was able to get, yes if my sides recede to a nw7 i am buggered :ph34r: its the gamble you take when getting a ht, like you was very anti meds but i have now got propecia and will be taking it soon as i will have to do everything to stop that from happening.

As for H&W being able to get more grafts than anyone else i don't know, but they have a huge team of staff to cope with the big numbers, i was quoted as getting 2500 so they told me to get there at 7.30, they usually start the big numbers at 6.30 i believe, one of the girls who was cutting was off sick that day and the fact that it took 1.45 removing my donor was a factor in it going on for 14 hours, the same wonderful team looked after my all day, they didn't moan about it once, can't see that happening in the UK, they would have all f**ked off at 5.30 and given me a doggy bag of hairs,and scalpel :ph34r:

We as in Dr Hasson and i wanted to get as big as numbers as possible so he took as big as piece of donor as possible, this was agreed that it would be a little tight and might stretch more than some of their neater scars, but when you have big old Norton / May scars on your head it was not an issue for me, as Spex says my donor density was the key here, i was told it was very good.

Density should be 40/50 frontal third thinning towards the back.

Zip It - The recipent area is fine, it feels really weird to run my hands over it, already you can see the benefit of correct placement, my previous ht were all stuck in and grow upwards making my hair very spiky, these new ones were all placed forwards so when i brush my hair backwards it will give it a fuller look.

Martin 1 - Yes i have been slapping on the aloe vera, as pb has said Dr May designed my hairline and was too low and wonky although i never noticed it until recently, if you look at my previous pic you can see the wonky hairline, we could have sorted it but it would of brought the hairline down even more on one side and i decided that it was a waste of precious grafts, once it grows out it will hopefully not notice so much.

Thanks i think H&W and Feller are the best in the business from what i have experienced and seen.

in the UK, they would have all f**ked off at 5.30 and given me a doggy bag of hairs,and scalpel :ph34r:

LOL :ph34r: and a sewing kit to finish the donor closure :ph34r:

We as in Dr Hasson and i wanted to get as big as numbers as possible so he took as big as piece of donor as possible, this was agreed that it would be a little tight and might stretch more than some of their neater scars, but when you have big old Norton / May scars on your head it was not an issue for me, as Spex says my donor density was the key here, i was told it was very good.

I would also settle for a larger scar to get the coverage on top...

Have to say the new pics look really impressive. Looks like you will have a great head of hair in about 8/9 months when its all grown a few inches. (Congrats) :ph34r: Have to admit that H+W seem to be the world champs for getting the hugest graft totals. Keep pushing the limits. That 14hrs in the chair must have been a killer, especially after spending hours in a plane seat just a day or so before. After 7 hours I was dying for it to end. Only the thought of having hair kept me going. Felt sorry for the girls who had to cut and place all those grafts :ph34r: Just goes to show that the U.S is in a totaly different league to the UK.

Just goes to show that the U.S is in a totaly different league to the UK.

Well Canada in this case... :ph34r:

Here we go, 1 month passed on Saturday, I have lots of shockloss around the right side and some on the left which is making scar concealment hard and the hair remaing long, most of my recipent hairs seem to have shed as the amount i loose when washing my hair are becoming fewer and fewer.

I have stopped applying aloe vera gel as i think most of the pinkness has gone, although one of these pics suggests otherwise, i seem to have a reddish glow on my face aswell.The pic from the front is with the flash on and shows how a flash in pics adds false density.

I can see some new sprouts along the hairline which is either my old ht taking some time to regrow or it is new ht growth.My ht is growing back slowly, as for the tiny miniturised exisiting hair i had i really can't tel at this stage whether it growing back yet.

I am now firmly into the waiting game stage, and am prepared for a couple of tough months ahead.

post-418-1151926836_thumb.jpg

post-418-1151926856_thumb.jpg

post-418-1151926878_thumb.jpg

Indeed Garage you are looking as I mentioned on the other forum - par for the course!! Congrats mate!!!

The wait will be worth it!!!!!

Congrats there Garageman. You have got throught the worst part, the healing. Now just be very patient and try not watch it all the time :(

Duke

Try just forget about it all now as you will only drive yourself mad. Good growth to you Garageman :(

You truly deserve a great result after everything :rolleyes: It will be well worth the wait trust me ;)

Hi all, i have reached my two month stage and have updated my website with lots of new pics, i have also updated some old pics of my hair pre any hairloss to show of my old Morrissey quiff and also pics after my first 450 grafts session in 1996, altough you can't see any of the work carried out as it is all camoflauged by my existing hair, it goes to show why i haven't been really concerned about my unnatural appearance until the last 4-5 years.

I have been buzzing my hair to a 3 at the sides and longer at the back to keep it in line with the length on top, this has made normal looking front on, i suffered a lot of shockloss particularly on the right side i noticed lots of hairs coming out from day one to about week 5, this shockloss on the donor has now stopped and i am awaiting re growth.

I started running on week five and five a side football week 6 , this was my first time out without my hat and used courve for the first time, as crude as the stuff is (basically makeup) it did hide my scars, i was very conscious of it running or coming out but it was all fine.

I am still wearing a hat when i go out although my hair is nearly at the point where it is like it was pre op, it looks like it would do now after a short haircut (my pre op pics hair length was longer than normal to conceal scars).

I can see new hairs lower than my old hairline sprouting which is really great news, if you look carefully at my photos you will see this, as an unusual experience some of my old ht hairs change colour from black at the tip to very pale and back to black again near the root, this can be seen in some of my pics, maybe this is a shock related thing?.

I am taking 300mg of msm daily and feel this has helped my hair grow back quickly, it is quite a good length for 2 months and i am happy with that, all in all i feel very positive about the upcoming months and very excited as to what i will look like in 10 months time, on a down side my shockloss concerns me particularly on the right side where i am having difficulty hiding my scars.

Please feel free to ask any questions

I have attached a pic which shows my hairline in detail

post-418-1154514245_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the update Garageland! Not long to wait now for the new HT growth to kick in :(

Hi garageland,

It's looking good. Of the hair that has grown back, is most of it previous HT hair, or has your existing hair grown back as well? Do you know if you have suffered any shockloss on top.

You have every reason to be upbeat knowing that all those grafts will start to sprout around what you have already! Good luck to you. :(

Please feel free to ask any questions

Hi again,

I was looking at your first batch of photos and was wondering about the back of your head... It looks like your HT extends to about where the top red line is that I have drawn in in the attached picture and then you have thinning hair down to the bottom red line... Do you have a thin area now between those two red lines or does the HT actually go all the way down the back? I'm interested because my hair is likely to go down the back in a similar pattern to yours.

post-219-1154518890_thumb.jpg

Hi Borobaldy thanks mate, shockloss on top is hard to tell at this stage, the reason being because my existing hair was so fine, it is hard to see, i was warned that hair that has been battered by dht may be permanently shocked, but i feel that i can see some fine hairs amongst what i have now.Most of the hair you can see is my ugly old transplant grown back, i would say in the region at a guess 5-7% of my new hairs didn't shed and carried on growing, also i have a few new stumpy hairs coming through.

PB cheers, as for the two lines, no hairs were transplanted there, i still have a lot of fine original hair there, i guess i need to get on the meds to salvage what i can, i just didn't have enough donor to cover this area aswell, its obviously something that is going to concern me but what can you do?

It will be interesting to see the back of your head once your latest HT has grown out... I suppose the HT plants have to be designed so that the bald patch at the back will look natural in my case as I won't have enough donor to go down the back either and I can't take the meds :(

Being a norwood 6 I have the same thinning pattern just below the crown. This area is usualy the last section of hair to be lost, and its only people with severe hairloss that seem to be effected in this area.

This is the only reason I take meds to try to stop it from getting any worse and hopefully thicken it back up a bit again (doubtful). Even though none of my relatives have receeded to full blown norwood 7 stage I'm not going to take the risk. It wasnt so noticable when my hair was longer and the dermatch I'm using on my scar takes care of it.

As for further transplants I've never seen anyone have grafts put into this area, I guess that as its only for those with severe loss they've usually used up all their donor on the top of their head.

If you get your crown covered and let it grow a bit I'm sure that will grow down to help disguise/cover this area making it hardly noticable at all.

Looking good mate !

Only another month or so and you probably start noticing alot more new growth.

Thanks for the pics Garageland.

A good and interesting read.

i too have a limited donor supply. Dr Feller has only seen pics so hopefully he says its better then he thought. I want full coverage on the top of my head. i dont mind a thinning look, i just dont want my crown to look like a baboons bum. i have a very thin hair crown so hopefully i will have some hair left to cover some of it.

i really hope i dont get too much shockloss on the top and it grows back fast. I dont want to have the look of hair on the sides and back and nothing on top.

will the scar look that bad if it shaved right down to a 1 after about 3 weeks after procedure?

are there any pics anywhere?

are there any pics anywhere?

Do a search for BaldingInMD's posts and pics... he buzzed his hair quite short after his HT (tricho) and looked OK. My immediate post op pics are here:

My HT was pre tricho-closure so my scar looks a bit worse than the more recent ones :(

will the scar look that bad if it shaved right down to a 1 after about 3 weeks after procedure?

Trust me mate, you wont be able to shave a new scar down to grade 1 it will show up like a big red line especialy if you suffer any shockloss in the donor area. :( (sorry)

Looking a bit worse than before (post op) is part of the whole ht experience.

On a more positive note Dr Feller would probably have given a conservative estimate because he has only seen pics of you and I'm sure that most of his patients on this forum would agree that he nearly always manages to get more grafts than quoted.

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments, i believe jotronic has had grafts in the area of the 2 lines that PB drew, hopefully he will be able to confirm, i itend to get on meds and hold that area as much as possible, grow the hair longer just above and although it will look thin, it will have a covering of some sort, i believe even some hair is way better than slick bald.

Spursman, your scar will be red for 2 months or more, mine is now fading but buzzing to a 3 might be possible a did this and thought it looked ok, but if you do have some shockloss it will be harder to cover, as saf says you do look worse before you look better.

I'm at 5 weeks now and have my hair buzzed to 3 mm. No one outside of my family knows about my HT and i've just started to go capless. None of my mates have mentioned the scar (they aint normally the politest) and nobody at head office mentioned it when i visited. My physio asked what it was but laying on a bed with your face down a hole kind of puts it on display. My biggest problem has be mozzies, they have been feasting on my scar!! Was working out and playing football 14 days post op so it really hasn't been too much of an issue. No shock loss and just a little tenderness but thats mainly the bites. Obviously cant pretend it's invisible but i dont think anyones been staring.