Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About 4Dad

  • Rank
  1. Thanks to all for the good wishes. Although I look in the mirror at every opportunity, I'm only concerned about the final result. I'm happy I'm an "early grower" but I would trade this for certainty as to high yield and density at the end! I have to say that modern science is simply miraculous to make this happen, and Dr. Feller should be applauded for his meticulous work. No one looking at me for the first time would ever know I had a hair transplant. I'm also amazed at Dr. Feller's ability to implant the hairs at precisely the right angle. My hair is growing almost exactly as it once did. As a NW5, there were no hairs there to replicate the growth pattern. All in all, I'm very pleased. 4Dad I wish. It has not grown in evenly, but that's just a natural part of the process as I understand it. Some of the transplanted hairs seem to have a life of their own; they just grow and grow at twice or three times the rate as other transplanted hairs. What compounds this is that the hairs are too thin to style. They just sort of stick up straight! 4Dad
  2. Attached are recent pictures documenting growth as of approximately three months after a haircut. The hair is rather thin (can't be combed or styled), but the progress is encouraging. I'm on 3000mg MSM; no other meds for personal reasons. All comments welcome. Link to original pictures (pre- and up to one month post-op) is: http://stophairlossnow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1818
  3. I've added some pictures in the first post for your viewing pleasure..... 4Dad
  4. Spex, I still have some redness on the front of the scalp, but it's dissipating. I'm using fresh aloe to deal with this. I thought all the transplanted hair was going to shed, but I still have some of the original transplanted hair. It's pretty sparse though. I'm debating whether to shave it down if it starts looking peculiar. I'm noticing some stubble/sprouts. I think it is the beginning of new growth, but probably too early to tell. Maybe the MSM is helping? The scar is now virtually indetectible. The hair has grown in and covers it. Again, to all reading, the scar would never have been detectible if I hadn't gotten a haircut within the few weeks before the procedure. That was my mistake. My advice is to let it grow long and adjust it, if necessary, after the procedure. I still have some residual numbness, but that is subsiding as well. I'll try to post new pictures in the next few days. Thanks, 4Dad
  5. Looks to me like you can expect a lot of new growth, but more importantly, thickening of your hair. Have you asked Dr. Feller and/or Spex how much more to expect? Because you have darker hair, you are at a disadvantage because of the hair to scalp colour contrast. I would suggest to you -- and feel free to disregard this advice -- that you try a different hairstyle until your hair thickens. By having the hair stick straight up at that length, the top of the haircut looks a lot thicker (i.e., darker) than at your scalp, which creates more of the contrast above. Also, by not parting your hair, you are losing the advantage of having hairs on the side from the part cascade over other side to create a thicker look. You may want to try this just once and post pics to see how it looks without cutting your hair. The waiting is the hardest part, but don't panic. You still look a lot better than pre-HT, and you will continue to improve. Best of luck. 4Dad
  6. I shaved down the sides of my head to roughly match the top. Some people asked what happened (looking at me from the front), and I told them I just decided to buzz down my hair. Most people just accepted that. I think a few people noticed the redness and looked at that for a bit and moved on. A few people noticed the scar and asked what happened to my head. I told them that I had to have some skin removed, which is technically true! I could have done a much better job preparing to hide the scar with Dermatch and Toppik. I bought some Toppik, but it didn't really conceal the lingering redness of the scar. That's almost gone now, and the scar is almost undetectible. I will post new pics within the next week. Only one person asked me if I had an HT. I made a policy of admitting it to whomever asked me directly. Since I was a NW5, people eventually are going to be able to figure it out. I was just hoping that the transition would go a little more smoothly. But it really hasn't been a big deal. No regrets! Thanks, 4Dad
  7. Thanks for all of your thoughts. It's almost all gone now! Shedding stinks! 4Dad
  8. 4Dad


    I'm one month post-op. Most, but not all of the grafts have shed. Scar is healing nicely. The strangest thing about this is the numbness in my recipient and donor areas. Dr. Feller's post-op instructions say this is normal and goes away after two months. I've even banged my head a few times without feeling it directly (I can feel pressure underneath the scalp). Do others have this same experience? Do you just wake up one day and its gone? Does it go away like clockwork at two months or does it last longer? Thanks for any insight. 4Dad
  9. These pictures of the scar were taken about 13 days out (there is much less redness now, but still some). 4Dad
  10. Thanks! The hair on the back doesn't quite cover the scar. I'm pretty sure that it's my fault. I had my hair cut about a month before the procedure, and it was a little too short. My strategy was to have a hair cut that would roughly resemble what I looked like before I went on my HT vacation. It has worked very well from the sides/top. In the back, there is sort of a landing strip where the hair is shorter. The scar itself is very narrow, and he used the trico closure (so there is hair already growing out of it). There are still red dots where the staples were removed. They have slowly faded. I'm back to work on Monday, so we'll see how noticeable it is then! 4Dad
  11. No meds yet. Interesting that you should ask. I was in the original Merck study for propecia (after proscar for prostate cancer had been approved). I was on it for about 4 years. My wife and I then decided to have children (we now have 4), and we stopped while she has been pregnant and nursing over the last 7 years). I've taken about 400 mgs of Saw Palmetto daily, which supposedly has a similar effect. No current plans to take meds. I will go back for a second procedure at some point down the road to fill in the crown and bridge. That's probably 2 years down the road.
  12. Thanks Pete! Fingers are crossed. The hardest part to gauge is the density. I think some of the shedding has already started. I see other people's before and after pics that are similar to mine, and the density looks really good at 6-12 months. I know part of the illusion of density is created by the front hairs cascading over hairs/scalp in the back; at this stage, it's pretty difficult to imagine how it will look......!
  13. After nearly 8 months of research I took the plunge on December 22, 2006 with a strip procedure with Dr. Feller. My experience was just amazing. I’m very, very happy with how it is shaping up. Dr. Feller is everything as advertised on this board, and his staff clearly knows what they are doing. Dr. Feller is a no-nonsense, no-BS person. I’m the proud father of 4, 39 years old, and happily married for ten years. I decided to do this because I simply didn’t like the way I looked. No one else cared. My wife met me when my hairline already had receded and never pushed me to do this, but she was supportive. I want to thank everyone on this board that has shared their experiences with any of the doctors. This certainly helped me picked Dr. Feller, but it also made me very comfortable with the procedure. I can get pretty nervous at times even though I’m a trial lawyer, but I was not nervous at all before or during the procedure. I even slept well the night before. I don’t know what Norwood class I was; I only had some bridge hair toward the back that I was able to comb over somewhat. We decided to fill in the hairline all the way back to (and ultimately into) the bridge hair area. The goal was to get 3,000 FUs, but we ultimately got 3,424. We started at 7:45 a.m. and ended at around 5 p.m. The most interesting thing was it took about 30 minutes to draw the hairline. We had pictures from the initial consultation, and I thought he had matched them pretty well after 10 or 15 minutes, but he re-drew the line two more times to get it exactly right. One suggestion that I would make to others is to have someone that knows you at the consultation/hairline drawing session. I brought my wife; she had some suggestions for some little nuances for the hairline that I never would have thought of and that we ultimately used. Another perspective never hurts. As everyone has said, the most difficult part of the day was the injection of the anesthetic. Ouch. At least we got that part out of the way quickly. Then, the most difficult part was sitting still! More on that later. I thought I was going to be grossed out by the removal of the strip. It turned out to be painless, and there was no ripping or tearing sound at all. The valium Dr. Feller gave me probably helped. After the stitches, Dr. Feller went about punching 3,001 holes in my head. This is a quiet time because of the intense concentration required, so I just zoned out. Within just a few minutes after the last hole was punched, the techs came in to put the grafts in. This was pretty tedious. I didn’t realize that it’s not just about sitting in the chair for 8 hours; you have to be absolutely still while the grafts go in to ensure the right placement. What I didn’t know going in is that they pile the grafts on your head to store them before they actually put them in the scalp. At one point, I turned my head and the Doctor thought some of the grafts would fall off! He stopped me in time thankfully. The rest of the day was a blur. I was lucky enough to have a fantastic lunch prepared by the staff for the office holiday party (thanks again!). I was even luckier when I was told at the end of the day that the doctor would be punching another 400+ holes because they harvested more grafts than projected. I drove home afterwards only on the power of Dr. Feller’s new painkilling method (he gives you a syringe to pump more of the anesthetic through butterfly needles fastened with a headband). I had some major league swelling over the next few days, but I was able to sleep comfortably. Too early to tell exactly how the scar is going to turn out, but it looks promising. The staples came out today. Not fun. Because I have a sensitive scalp, I had to get 6 more pain injections! These were not as deep as the ones on the day of the procedure, so they didn’t hurt quite as much. I’m trying not to get too excited about the new hair just yet, because I know it’s going to shed. It looks like it’s going to be pretty dense too, but it’s too early to tell. Again, thanks to everyone for their insights on the process. I’ve attached some pictures from Dr. Feller’s office (before and on day of procedure and from the date the staples were removed (10 days out). The latest pictures are at 7 weeks. Some blemishes are shown in all their glory (I'm a firm believer in showing the good and the bad!). The stubble on the top of my head -- new growth -- doesn't show in the pictures. 4DAD
  • Create New...