drupal statistics module

hair loss radio

Photo

Nanogen Hair Fibres...just How Good Are They?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vanheldan

Vanheldan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:17 PM

I've read peoples opinions on then, and vast majority seem to be positive.

But how good are they?

My biggest fear is that when i'm at uni and it starts to rain, that they start coming off and start catching on my forehead.

Are they completely safe to use in all weather?...anybody had any experience in this?

Thanks!!!

#2 s.a.f

s.a.f

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:38 PM

I think the fibres are good at visually giving the impression of thicker hair but as with all concealers the more hair you have the better the result. And its best to apply too little than too much. The fibres should stand up to a moderate amount of rain but I think its best to not leave them on for too long. Wash them out and reapply more at least every 2-3 days.
--------

My HT Experience/Info pack

----------

#3 Vanheldan

Vanheldan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:04 AM

In my instance, i've got a pretty good amount of hair but because i'm growing my hair long, you can tell they are not as thick. So i'm thinking of experimenting with hair fibres.

Also, can i apply gel to my hair?

i.e. Shape my hair with gel, once dry, then apply hair fibres and then apply the hair spray

#4 Pondle

Pondle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE(Vanheldan @ Jul 23 2007, 12:04 PM) View Post

In my instance, i've got a pretty good amount of hair but because i'm growing my hair long, you can tell they are not as thick. So i'm thinking of experimenting with hair fibres.

Also, can i apply gel to my hair?

i.e. Shape my hair with gel, once dry, then apply hair fibres and then apply the hair spray

I'm in the same boat, mate. I'm a NW2, growing it out longer and want additional thickness at the front. What colour should I go for, as close a match as possible to natural, a shade darker, a shade lighter? Not sure how these things look in reality.

#5 Stan

Stan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:08 PM

Been using fibres for a couple of years now and for me they're pretty good. I've got diffused thinning to front and mid areas and the fibres really give the appearance of much thicker hair. The points i would raise are:

1. All the fibres are the same so buy the cheapest you can find, ebay can be a god source.
2. Cheap fine hairspray is perfectly OK don't buy locking mist.
3. Keep the fibres dry. DO NOT store in the bathroom cabinate as when they get damp they stick together.
4. They will withstand a light shower and a moderate sweat on, but don't get caught in the p*ssing rain!
5. Wash them out every day and re-apply, after having them in for 8 hrs or so you will find they and lump together on your scalp. So if you're going out that night wash out and re-apply.
6. Less is definately more. Don't blather it all over start with a little, you'll soon get a feel for it.
7. If in doubt go for a shade lighter than you think when you first try some as if its too dark it can look like you've put something in your hair!! And we wouldn't want that would we : )
8. Fibres are great for diffused areas but will not create a hairline nor will they fill a completely bald spot.

I think thats about it.

In the 2 years no one has spotted mine, even my wife (who used to be a hairdresser) says that she can only tell when having a good poke about in there especially at the end of a day when, as I said, they tend to lump together on the scalp.

#6 bigmac

bigmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:13 AM

all good points stan
i buy my toppik from ebay usually the usa as its much cheaper from there.
i can get away with leaving my toppik in for 2 days,touching it up on the 2nd day,
but i have to put an old towel over my pillow to keep it clean

Two bad HTs with Norton
One bad HT with a Greek fue clinic

Great Ht With Shapiro Medical Group

#7 i-hate-propecia

i-hate-propecia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:40 AM

Sorry Stan, i have to disagree with point 1 although i agree with point 2. i was using toppik for ages and apart from having to wait sometimes days for arrival, i find that nanogen is miles better. the colour is more natural and it blends in my hair perfectly. i find that toppik sort of sits on top of my hair and rolls off when i pat it but nanogen seems to merge like magic. i don;t know if this is by accident or design but they are definately not the same. But i never buy the locking mist because i use another hairspray - although they sometimes send me a promotion with free locking mist. just my two pennies... Toby

QUOTE(Stan @ Aug 1 2007, 09:08 PM) View Post

Been using fibres for a couple of years now and for me they're pretty good. I've got diffused thinning to front and mid areas and the fibres really give the appearance of much thicker hair. The points i would raise are:

1. All the fibres are the same so buy the cheapest you can find, ebay can be a god source.
2. Cheap fine hairspray is perfectly OK don't buy locking mist.
3. Keep the fibres dry. DO NOT store in the bathroom cabinate as when they get damp they stick together.
4. They will withstand a light shower and a moderate sweat on, but don't get caught in the p*ssing rain!
5. Wash them out every day and re-apply, after having them in for 8 hrs or so you will find they and lump together on your scalp. So if you're going out that night wash out and re-apply.
6. Less is definately more. Don't blather it all over start with a little, you'll soon get a feel for it.
7. If in doubt go for a shade lighter than you think when you first try some as if its too dark it can look like you've put something in your hair!! And we wouldn't want that would we : )
8. Fibres are great for diffused areas but will not create a hairline nor will they fill a completely bald spot.

I think thats about it.

In the 2 years no one has spotted mine, even my wife (who used to be a hairdresser) says that she can only tell when having a good poke about in there especially at the end of a day when, as I said, they tend to lump together on the scalp.

Sorry Stan wanted to compliment the other 7 points you made except point one which i disagree with. I used Toppik for a year and it is not a patch on nanogen. I also used one of thoe sprays - i can;t rememebr which and that was like a spray paint. I liked your point 6 - less is definately more. i have used Nanogen for 2 years now and i find i can really make it last by using a sprinkle then applying a bit of hairspray - then a bit more nanogen. that uses up less and seems to giv e much better look. that is what they recommend on their website but only read it properly after a few months using it - now i find it last me twice as long as i used to dump it all on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users