39 replies to this topic

#1 19/m/northeast/uk

19/m/northeast/uk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:24 PM

Hey,

My name is Simon and today iv booked my first consultation with Dr Rogers Clinic.

I simply want to know if i can start using propecia before i have a HT?

Cheers

Simon.

Simon[color=#000099]

#2 Lucky

Lucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:01 AM

Hi Simon,

Are you 19 years old? if you are I would strongly advise putting off having a HT until your late 20's early 30's as you may end up having multiple HT's to chase your hairloss over the next few years.

Starting propecia would / should be your first plan of action, take various photos of your hair from different angles and then re-evaluate your hairloss at least the 12 months mark, if you see no change or an improvement then you will hopefully be maintaining your hair and at this point would it be worthwhile considering having a HT.

I would also do more research as Dr Rogers is way down on the HT doc league table, don't let geography be an issue, plus you will save a lot of money in terms 1) its far cheaper to have a HT in the US 2) Putting right your original HT which didn't meet with your expectations.

HTH

Lucky
My Webpage

2500 Strip - Dr Feller - Nov '06

#3 PB_

PB_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:27 AM

Lucky gave you some very good advice...

Research, research and then travel, travel wink.gif

A Dr Rogers HT

PB_

4532 grafts in two procedures with Dr Feller
Dr Feller 17.11.2005 - 2700 grafts into front 1/3 - excellent growth
Dr Feller 8.6.2007 - 1832 grafts in total - 1300 dense packed into hairline @ 65+ grafts/cm2 and 532 into crown (almost all singles at the front with a few doubles at back of hairline - all crown grafts are multi hair grafts)
Dr Lindsey June 2008 - 711 FUE
My Webpage

#4 hairroot

hairroot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:27 AM

Both Lucky and PB who are very experienced when it comes to HT's have given you SOLID advice!!! wink.gif

I would not contemplate a HT until you have been on meds for over a year. I would also DEFINATELY not have a HT here in the UK! Just look around on all the forums. You need to travel!!! Its cheaper and the standard of work is ...well you can't even compare.
I have seen several HT's performed by "UK Leading Dr's". It is NOT good at all!!!!!!!
TRAVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have been warned! cool.gif
1800 FUE session with Dr Feller 1/06 - Great, natural growth!
1400 FUE session with Dr Feller 11/06 - (waiting)

My 2nd session with Dr Feller

#5 s.a.f

s.a.f

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:58 PM

Simon, only one guy you need to talk to

Meet up with Spex,

he'll answer all your questions and give you the best advice.

You'll be glad you did
. wink.gif

Seriously though I started losing my hair at 19 so I know what its like, read my info guide below. You've got to think about the rest of your life. Given the chance I too may have opted for a HT at 19 but I'm glad that I did'nt.

QUOTE(19/m/northeast/uk @ Oct 17 2007, 11:24 PM) View Post

Hey,

My name is Simon and today iv booked my first consultation with Dr Rogers Clinic.

(I can see this one kicking off bigtime soon!) unsure.gif
--------

My HT Experience/Info pack

----------

#6 beardywierdy

beardywierdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

Hi Simon

I was around 25 when I realised that my temples were on their way out. I suddenly got that sick feeling in my stomach realising that things were not actually going to get better - I was going bald. I became convinced that I would be bald at 30. The usual things went through my mind- shave it off etc- but to be honest I look a total c*nt with a shaven head.

If someone had offered my surgery at 25 I probably would have done it- I am glad I didn't have surgery at that age because 13 years later, at 38 I still have hair, albeit receded a bit more (nw 3). At 25 I would have wanted a teenage hairline but now nearing 40 I would accept a more conservative hairline.

This probably won't make you feel any better mate, but as you get older priorites do change and hair becomes slightly less of a priority; but this doesn't detract from the fact that we do get judged on appearance and hair does matter to most people. I reckon if you asked 100 balding men whether they would prefer hair- 99 would probably say they would like more hair. The thing to ask is whether surgery is a step too far, bearing in mind that at 19 you are going to set yourself up for years of surgery.

Get on propecia for 12 months and see how you feel then.

#7 goeasy

goeasy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:31 PM

that was funny saf biggrin.gif

do not get a ht at 19 and definately not with rogers dry.gif read through the forums and see rogers result ph34r.gif rogers had shown many times he doesnt really know what he is doing and never gives patients the grafts they need or with the right design dry.gif its alway 1500 grafts biggrin.gif i think thats all he can do unsure.gif

get on propecia for at least 2 yrs then think about travelling to US to get a proper ht wink.gif

#8 maneman

maneman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:27 PM

To answer the original question, without taking the opportunity to promote the 'New York Experience', i have always been advised to avoid alcohol, ibuprofen, aspirin and minoxidil and similiar drugs for one week prior to surgery. Although i haven't personaly been told to refrain from finasteride (propecia), i usually 'lay off' it for a few days before....

Best wishes mate, wink.gif

#9 19/m/northeast/uk

19/m/northeast/uk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hey thanks to everyone who has replied and there is some good advise in there smile.gif

First off im not 19 , i was 19 when i signed up to this site i am 21 now.

I started loosing my hair at 17!

For over a year now iv been using Nanogen 'dark brown' its been great using it but! recently family, friends & work have noticed my weird looking dark brown scalp lol

I have tried using Minoxidil in the past but i hated using it as my hair was greasy 24/7! and couldn't style my hair plus as you know it isn't a permanent solution to my hair loss.

I do want the surgery full stop! because i don't want to wait till i am 30! ... i at least want to enjoy my 20s.

Is it really cheaper to have a HT out side the UK? ... Id love to have the HT done with Dr Feller but i would of thought it was cheaper to have it done in the UK plus Dr Rodgers is the best in the UK right?

Basically iv got 4 grand to burn would that get me to the US for a HT with Dr Feller.

Thanks again for the replies and advise keep the good work up guys

Simon.
Simon[color=#000099]

#10 Lucky

Lucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:00 PM

Simon,

Can you post some photos? you don't have to reveal your face but your hair and the areas where you think you need a HT, I still think you are quite young for a HT and Dr Rogers would be very unethical if he was to agree to carry out a procedure at this stage, like I said get on the meds first to stablise your hairloss, contact spex, he will refer you to Dr Ashcroft who can prescribe Propecia in Proscar form, this will cost you about 120 for 15 months worth.

If Dr Feller was to agree to carry out the HT for you then spex could do with seeing your photos first to give you an honest opinion as you may not be suitable for HT.

I am not saying this because I had HT with Dr Feller but 4k will get you more grafts for your money and your results will be far better, do some research into UK clinics before parting with your cash!

I know how devastating hairloss is for a young man but a fix wont happen overnight, even after the HT procedure you have at least 12 months before you can see what the result will be like so its a case of being patient, and like I say the first step is to stablise the hairloss.

HTH

Lucky

My Webpage

#11 19/m/northeast/uk

19/m/northeast/uk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:10 PM

The cheque is in the post to Dr Ashcroft. He offers a good deal like.

I contacted him a few months ago by telephone and we have been emailing each this morning.

I will take some photos tonight and will forward them to you and Spex.

Cheers

Si

p.s is there any way i can change my display name on here i don't want people thinking i am 19 still lol
Simon[color=#000099]

#12 Lucky

Lucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:26 PM

Hi Simon, just sign up with a new username, thats probably the easiest way, just let us know that you are 19/m/northeast/uk

You have made the first move Simon, now its a case of getting used to the routine of taking a tablet every day, you might be better off getting a pill cutter so you can split your pills evenly, I use an old paracetamol bottle to store my tablets in as every pill can last you 4-5 days (i have 1/5th)

I tried rogain foam but I think I was allergic to it, so I dropped it, but it may be worthwhile buying some nizoral as many comment on this helping too, just use 1-2 times a week, if it irritates you then drop it.

One thing I found with proscar is for the first couple of months it made me kind of hazy, so if you experience the same then take it in the evening.

Take photos of your hair at this stage, if you don't you may feel it is doing nothing for you, but when I look through my photos I can see it's thickened it up and looks in better condition, so I reckon you should do the same, some guys at your age on other forums use whats called the big three, Propecia (Proscar) Nizoral and Minoxidil (rogaine) and they have had amazing results, some have regrown what they have lost, possibly because their follicles haven't died off yet and this combination helps them to regrow, I hope this works the same for you, maybe this can help you put off having a HT till you are a little older.

Anyway, Good Luck Simon!

Lucky
My Webpage

#13 19/m/northeast/uk

19/m/northeast/uk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:56 PM

okay guys here is my balding head!!

http://i208.photobuc...xx/CIMG1053.jpg

http://i208.photobuc...xx/CIMG1051.jpg

http://i208.photobuc...xx/CIMG1050.jpg

http://i208.photobuc...xx/CIMG1052.jpg

Enjoy unsure.gif
Simon[color=#000099]

#14 Lucky

Lucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:11 PM

The links don't work simon, can you check?
My Webpage

#15 19/m/northeast/uk

19/m/northeast/uk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:14 PM

tried to upload them on here but i get this message

The requested file upload failed because suitable permissions have not been enabled on the 'uploads' directory. Please contact the board administrator and inform them of this error.

any other way i can show them
Simon[color=#000099]

#16 Lucky

Lucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:19 PM

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
My Webpage

#17 19/m/northeast/uk

19/m/northeast/uk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:21 PM

how scary are them pics! soo big lol cheers lucky

this site is more difficult then myspace! (at the mo)

#18 Lucky

Lucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:31 PM

You have a lot of tiny vellous hairs and I reckon you could improve your situation with the propecia, if the rogaine doesnt irritate you I would stick it out, it would take a good 6+ months before you see any results but you might respond well, spex will be able to give you his veiw now.

if you want to remove the pics just let me know

Lucky

Even though I have had a HT my pre HT and proscar hair was thin like yours

IPB Image

Even after 3 months after the HT my hair was thin

IPB Image

Then at about 6 months (7 months on proscar) it started to improve

IPB Image
My Webpage

#19 19/m/northeast/uk

19/m/northeast/uk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:39 PM

Unfortantly Rogaine made my scalp rather saw n red ... which i was aware of and expected it but i hated using it was too greasy made me look balder lol

I cant even use the locking mist for nanogen no more coz it irritates my scalp

but anyways Dr J Ashcroft should helpfully receive my cheque soon not even going to mention the postal strike grr

Cheers

Si

p.s nice work on the HT!
Simon[color=#000099]

#20 Lucky

Lucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:47 PM

Did you try the foam? I found it made my hair look thicker, but then I ended up having a reaction to it (or to a dog we got at the same time) eitherways I had to get rid of both and just stuck with the proscar.

Try taking vitamins too, every little helps!

Anyway Si, best of luck and welcome aboard! wink.gif

My Webpage

#21 spex

spex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:54 AM

Hi Si,
Nice clear pics !!

First things first - There has been some very good experienced advice here from long time researchers + actual HT patients.

I would strongly recommend due to your situ and age that you commence with the meds for a minimum of 6-12 months to slow down and hopefully stop further loss before embarking down ANY HT route. Your loss pattern is diffuse and at still a young age you need to not jump in and must thinnk LONG TERM - I know its tough but you must understand why its vital to stabilise your loss before a HT is performed - especially at such a young age. You still have a great deal of hair - (although you don't feel it) Keeping this hair will in turn mean that you require less HT's wink.gif

Monitor your hair for the next 6-12 months - Then by all means drop me an email or we can even meet up to assess your eligibility for a HT once the defense is in place wink.gif

Just for the record here also - Maneman:

To answer the original question, without taking the opportunity to promote the 'New York Experience'

No one mentioned that you "must" travel to New York - but that off extensive research its advisable to travel to the US where there are more options / clinics available.
Consultant and Showcase for Dr Feller and Dr Lindsey and Beauty Medical's SMP.

All opinions expressed are my own.Website : www.spexhair.com

My Hair Loss Education project : MaximumHair MinimumLoss.com

Posted Image

#22 Martin1

Martin1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:18 AM

You must get on Propecia before doing anything! At such ayoung age with your loss pattern a HT is not the solution at this time. Good advice by spex!

Maneman, let me guess you are a Rogers patient. Let me guess you have no pictures to share.... rolleyes.gif

You may be legit but the proof is all over the place that you must travel to either the US or Canada to get a top doc. If you are happy with an average doc then no need to travel. There are many here in the UK.

But why have an average /poor HT doctor perform a HT when for much less money you can get the best HT in the world not an average one (one that will more than likely need repairing anyway. dry.gif)

These pictures shown here as example would require a 3000 session approx

eg: Rogers 3000 grafts - 6000 (never even heard of a 3000 grafts patient of his as i think he can only do 1800 max, I think he advertises this size on his site to look like he could actually do it unsure.gif )

Feller
"New York Experience" 3000 grafts - 4500

1500 saving to have the best in the world do you HT. wink.gif

(Flights cost 250 and accommodation 50 a night so lets call it 500 all in.)

"The New York Experience" = 1000 saving ............To have one of the best Doctors in the world do your HT wink.gif

Even a monkey could add that combo up and work out by far the more favourable way to proceed wink.gif
2313 Graft Session with Dr Feller
My Experience My HT Tips Clinics to Avoid

#23 maneman

maneman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE(spex @ Oct 19 2007, 07:54 AM) View Post

Just for the record here also - Maneman:

To answer the original question, without taking the opportunity to promote the 'New York Experience'

No one mentioned that you "must" travel to New York - but that off extensive research its advisable to travel to the US where there are more options / clinics available.

Hi Spex, My (innocent) comment was made on the basis, that nobody had attempted to answer the question, but instead answered one that wasn't asked.
The cynics out there, might have (mis)interpreted this as a hidden agenda...

Fortunately, I've never been a cynic.... wink.gif

Best, Maneman

#24 Lucky

Lucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:22 PM

Hi Maneman,

Would you care to show photos of your results from Dr Rogers seeing as you say you have had a good result.

Thanks

Lucky_UK
My Webpage

#25 maneman

maneman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE(Lucky @ Oct 19 2007, 08:22 PM) View Post

Hi Maneman,

Would you care to show photos of your results from Dr Rogers seeing as you say you have had a good result.

Thanks

Lucky_UK

Hi lucky, You've been through my posts! I could upload some after shots of now, but i didn't take any before shots 3 years ago when i had the session with Dr Rogers, so there's not much point. (though, should Dr Rogers read this and wish to upload the ones he took, he's welcome to do so (with the usual discretional 'face block') (PM me Dr R, if you are unsure who i am, - don't want the wrong patient pics posted unsure.gif )

However, i fully intend to upload before and after photos of my upcoming 1000 graft session booked in November, as i have said from my first post.... I make no claims regarding Dr Rogers, (other than i got what i had realistically expected, following on from poor results elsewhere...) and i certainly except that he is far from the cheapest....

Watch this space - Glorious technicolour coming soon...... Promise! cool.gif

Be.... Lucky,

Maneman

#26 Martin1

Martin1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:08 PM

My (innocent) comment was made on the basis, that nobody had attempted to answer the question, but instead answered one that wasn't asked.

huh.gif

Lucky =

Hi Simon,

Are you 19 years old? if you are I would strongly advise putting off having a HT until your late 20's early 30's as you may end up having multiple HT's to chase your hairloss over the next few years.

Starting propecia would / should be your first plan of action, take various photos of your hair from different angles and then re-evaluate your hairloss at least the 12 months mark, if you see no change or an improvement then you will hopefully be maintaining your hair and at this point would it be worthwhile considering having a HT.

Hairroot =

Both Lucky and PB who are very experienced when it comes to HT's have given you SOLID advice!!!

I would not contemplate a HT until you have been on meds for over a year

s.a.f =

Seriously though I started losing my hair at 19 so I know what its like, read my info guide below. You've got to think about the rest of your life. Given the chance I too may have opted for a HT at 19 but I'm glad that I did'nt.

beardyweirdy =

Hi Simon

I was around 25 when I realised that my temples were on their way out. I suddenly got that sick feeling in my stomach realising that things were not actually going to get better - I was going bald. I became convinced that I would be bald at 30. The usual things went through my mind- shave it off etc- but to be honest I look a total c*nt with a shaven head.

If someone had offered my surgery at 25 I probably would have done it- I am glad I didn't have surgery at that age because 13 years later, at 38 I still have hair, albeit receded a bit more (nw 3). At 25 I would have wanted a teenage hairline but now nearing 40 I would accept a more conservative hairline.

This probably won't make you feel any better mate, but as you get older priorites do change and hair becomes slightly less of a priority; but this doesn't detract from the fact that we do get judged on appearance and hair does matter to most people. I reckon if you asked 100 balding men whether they would prefer hair- 99 would probably say they would like more hair. The thing to ask is whether surgery is a step too far, bearing in mind that at 19 you are going to set yourself up for years of surgery.

Get on propecia for 12 months and see how you feel then.

goeasy =

get on propecia for at least 2 yrs then think about travelling to US to get a proper ht

Real innocent dry.gif Everyone attempted to answer the question dry.gif

I am very surprised you have no pictures though rolleyes.gif

The cynics out there, might have (mis)interpreted this as a hidden agenda...

The only agenda here maneman is one of making sure people don't make mistakes and are Given accurtate information wink.gif

INNOCENT COMMENT laugh.gif

#27 maneman

maneman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:25 PM

[quote name='Martin1' date='Oct 19 2007, 09:08 PM' post='24492']
[quote]

I am very surprised you have no pictures though rolleyes.gif
[/quote]

As i say i will post the pics in this time round, so as everyone can make their own judgement on the results (including me).
I really can't say fairer than that....

Best, Maneman

#28 Martin1

Martin1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:29 PM

Did you miss all the comments with regards to answering the propecia questions then....? or did you just need to get that dig in wink.gif

I appreciate you are a repair patient so i am sorry that you have fallen at the hands off the UK previously. Rogers obviously made your situation better. Rogers though in all fairness is just not considered a good HT Doc by world standards. The point is if you had gone with Feller, HW, Wolf, Shapiro etc you could of had your situation made much much better in just one session. Rogers needs two attempts all the time and it will still not be as good as a top doc could have done easily in one session. This is a fact.
If you are happy that Rogers has made your situation better then that is great but think how much better it could have been in one session and for much less money if you had travelled. wink.gif I look forward to seeing your pictures. 1000 grafts is very small sesison so keep your expectations low. Don't let Rogers tell you thats all you have left dry.gif Hetold one patient he only had 200 grafts on HLH.

This patient went onto Feller and got 1200+ and is planning another 1000 in the future with Feller.
Rogers estimated 200 MAX - Feller gets 2000+

http://www.hairlossh...ites/bachstrad/

See the point i am making smile.gif

All the best maneman!

#29 maneman

maneman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE(Martin1 @ Oct 19 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Did you miss all the comments with regards to answering the propecia questions then....?

I apologise to all members for not towing the party line, and daring to make a slightly disparaging remark...
As a non US traveller, i feel deeply ashamed for causing what is clearly considerable distress to the party faithful..... God bless America!! wink.gif

#30 Martin1

Martin1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:45 PM

Put i thought it was just an innnocent remark........ obviously not wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users