61 replies to this topic

#1 spex

spex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:32 PM

The big 3 to beat DHT, THE CAUSE OF HAIRLOSS!

- Propecia ( Finesteride ), Minoxodil and Nizoral

Here is the thing you need to make sure you understand when it comes to MPB:

The main known factor that causes hairloss is DHT. To form DHT your body's 5a-reductase enzyme converts free roaming testosterone DHT inside the hair cell follicle. The DHT then binds to the hair cell receptor and causes it to atrophy or shrink. Eventually your hair follicle stops producing hair and you lose that follicle.

There are two types of the 5ar enzyme; Type I and Type II. Type II 5ar seems to be the main culprit in MPB as the type II enzyme is present in the hair follicles. Finasteride is a specific inhibitor of Type II 5ar inhibitor that reduces DHT produced by the type II 5ar by 85%-90% and reduces the overall DHT blood serum levels by 65%.

As you can see Finasteride (PROPECIA ) is extremely useful as a treatment for MPB as it directly attacks the problem. Nizoral shampoo is thought to help "dull" the androgen receptors in the scalp which the DHT binds to. Together they provide a synergetic effect.

Minoxidil is a hair stimulant. It is the only FDA proven hair stimulant on the market. However stimulating hair and protecting hair from further damage are two separate actions

Minoxidil will artificially augment your hair while you use the compound but it does NOT have any know effect on 5ar or the androgen receptors in the scalp.

The best way to attack MPB is to:

1. Stop further damage to your hair via DHT. You can accomplish this best by using Finasteride to inhibit the 5ar enzyme and Nizoral to "dull" the androgen receptors.

2. **If** further thickening/regrowth is needed after the hair damaging DHT androgen is reduced then minoxidil can be used to further augment your existing hairs and perhaps even stimulant some dormant hair follicles to resume growing.
My Webpage

Regards
Specs
Consultant and Showcase for Dr Feller and Dr Lindsey and Beauty Medical's SMP.

All opinions expressed are my own.Website : www.spexhair.com

My Hair Loss Education project : MaximumHair MinimumLoss.com

Posted Image

#2 Joe90

Joe90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 10:24 AM

Agree with Specs

The big 3 are the one's to go for.

However I also use Zinc and take twice the daily recommended RDA.

Makes hair and nails grow fast.

Anyway it works for me.

Joe90

#3 RonnieF

RonnieF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 11:17 AM

Big 3 works for me also.

Will give the zinc a try only read good stuff about it.

RonnieF

#4 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 11:09 PM

Hello im 18 and a male . i suffer from serious dandruff which has always plagued my scalp and im looking for some help.But now instead when i sweat , my scalp becomes sore . it then turns a burning red which is resulting in a huge amount of hairloss. i have tried evry anti - dandruff shampoo but nothng has helped the condition . it just seems to get worse. i would greatly appreciate any help .

#5 spex

spex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:56 AM

Dia - i would recommend you see you GP about your situation - your situation could be a reaction to one of the shampoos you've been using.

Posted Image

#6 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:58 PM

Hey there everyone. i have decided to start using rogaine but i am 17, and the packet says u should be 18, i simply cannot wait to be honest as my hair loss is getting rather bad now, and styling my hair to cover it is beginning to fail. i also know that rogaine takes a few months to work anyway so am i being really stupid here or what? what do you recommend anyone? joe

#7 stophair

stophair

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 01:11 PM

Hi Diarmuid and Welcome

As specs says you should see your doctor.

Use one shampoo for a couple of weeks to see if that particular product is causing the problem.

This is a process of elimination to see whether one particular product affects you.

I would recommend starting with Nizoral, just follow the directions.

Bill

#8 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for the replies.Regarding Nizoral , I've tried it so many times but it seems useless, as it only seems to make the scalp red and sore .From having bad dandruff , the follicles now seem to be changing , some hairs are now extremely thin , while some hairs are unusually hard.If the dandruff situation was resolved ,would having lengthy hair cover or stop follicles from growing hair?Just a question! So I've run out of ideas and any help would be greatly appreciated.

#9 spex

spex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:06 AM

sonds like you've over used the nizoral shampoo! its very strong stuff and only meant to be used 2 x a week! if i were you i would stop using it for a while and allow your head to return to some state of norm before embarking on any other meds

Posted Image

#10 norman_bates

norman_bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:39 AM

Is Minoxodil supposed to make your heart beat faster? Or maybe I'm just paranoid but I've been getting tired a bit faster than usual ever since I started taking it... maybe I should just check a doctor out before something bad happens.. ahh

#11 spex

spex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:44 PM

add some MSM to the big three combo guys - makes your hair grow very quickly as well as making it stronger. - all good!

My Webpage

Posted Image

#12 spex

spex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:24 AM

nornam - you could just try applying it once - at night

Posted Image

#13 spex

spex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 02:39 PM

bump

Posted Image

#14 spex

spex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:57 AM

bump

Posted Image

#15 roastedpepper

roastedpepper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 07:40 PM

what is MSM ?

#16 spex

spex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:46 PM

MSM -
Some of MSM's essential functions in the body include maintaining the structure of the proteins in the body, helping the formation of keratin which is essential for hair and nail growth, aiding in the production of immunoglobulin which maintains the immune system, and catalyzing the chemical reactions which change food into energy.

These functions often result in the following occurrences:

Inhibition of pain impulses along nerve fibers (analgesia)
Lessening of inflammation
Increase in blood supply
Reduction of muscle spasm
Softening of scar tissue

I take 3000 mg a day and it has increase the speed of my hairs growth and given it an overall thicker healthier look.

You can easily get it for Holland and Barrett

Regards
specs

Posted Image

#17 roastedpepper

roastedpepper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:59 PM

Thanks spec. You know soo much about hairloss. I do have another question, when you speak of the big 3 combatting hairloss - is there some kind of an order? Should you use Nizoral, Finerasteride and minoxidil together? or only use Nizoral and Finerasteride and then Minoxidil at some point in the future? Is it okay to use all three products together?

#18 spex

spex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:16 AM

Use all these 3 products together -

1. Minoxidil 2 x a day - once in the am and once in the pm
2. Finesteride (propecia/proscar) 1mg per day
3. Nizoral 2 x a weeks (no more) - will dry your scalp out!

all the best
specs

Posted Image

#19 JPC

JPC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:43 PM

Hi there,
I'm new to the website. A bit about myself first to give a background. I'm a 26 year old male of 6'2" and weight 14.7 stone. I do a lot of exercise including weights, martial arts etc. In the last few years I've become thinner on top to a point where it is noticable. I've been using extra strength regaine, which is the Minoxodil solution. I've been pretty regularly appying this for 8 months now and seem to be getting no where. I'm desperate to replace my hair to the point that I'm considering hair implant although the cost is the biggest downfall. Can anyone suggest techniques that will definately help with rough success rates. I currenly have about 5 months supply of minoxodil and am prepared to pay up to 150 for any initial treatment. I've read all the reviews on the BIG3, but how effective is it and where do I start?

Regards,

JC

#20 winkle

winkle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:31 PM

you can look on this site for the big three,
and try that <proscra.minoxodil.and nizoral>
it may help

#21 roastedpepper

roastedpepper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:39 PM

Thanks Specs!! The only problem is that i find that when using Minoxidil it really dry's my hair out and my hair becomes extra wavy - meaning that it becomes very difficult to style! Above all, the hair seems to drop out even more and my pillow is always full of hair when i wake up in the morning.

ohh well...

1 more question, i went to boots a few days back - there were a few Nizoral shampoo's which one is the correct one?

RP

#22 spex

spex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 07:06 AM

The right stuff!

Posted Image

#23 JPC

JPC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:47 PM

Specs,
I have visited your website and as you'll see have just ordered 6 months of the propecia as I already have the other two items for the big 3. I've also ordered some MSM and zinc tablets hoping that all five items will complement each other? I understand you are very knowledable with regards to MPB and I have one question that you may be able to answer. I understant that the DHT is a bi-product of Testosterone and that is effectively strangles the hair follicles? I also understand that anyone who is heavily into sports etc is more likely to increase their levels of testosterone. By increasing the levels of testosterone, would this also likely increase the levels of DHT do you think?

Any help would be much appreciated as I am heavily into sports and weights and am worried this may increase my DHT production?

Regards,

Jordon

#24 JPC

JPC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 04:33 PM

Appologies to Specs, I thought I'd ordered propecia off you the other week, somehow I ended up ordering procerin from a completely different website - I honestly don't know how this happened. Anyway I'm gonna give it a try now that it's here and see if there's any difference in a few months, I will report any results to you all if there are some. If there's no results, can I order some off you specs or do I have to see my doctor first?

Regards,

JPC

#25 george

george

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 04:50 PM

specs is still away so can't respond but he doesn't sell anything he can put you in touch with his GP Dr Ashcroft hho can perscribe proscar to you(sound guy)

the stuff you have is not any good in my opinion and you should get on proscar/propecia asap if your wanting to do the best thing possible
g

#26 mikeau

mikeau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:30 PM

The big 3 to beat DHT, THE CAUSE OF HAIRLOSS!

- Propecia ( Finesteride ), Minoxodil and Nizoral

Hi,

I'm new here, but was just wondering;
Why you are recommending Finasteride/Propecia as part of the 'big three' treatment, when Avodart (although not yet licensed specifically for hair loss) seems to be a much better drug for suppressing 5ar enzymes..?

Any reason not to use it (especially when it can even work out cheaper per dose than Propecia)?

Thanks

#27 Ulsterman

Ulsterman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:10 PM

Thanks Specs!! The only problem is that i find that when using Minoxidil it really dry's my hair out and my hair becomes extra wavy - meaning that it becomes very difficult to style!  Above all, the hair seems to drop out even more and my pillow is always full of hair when i wake up in the morning.

ohh well...

1 more question, i went to boots a few days back - there were a few Nizoral shampoo's which one is the correct one?

RP

You need to reduce inflammation in the scalp tissue and increase microcapillary circulation. As well as finasteride, I use retin A cream with the minoxidil and golden emu oil to reduce inflammation, then in the evening after shampoo with Nizoral, I use the laser comb
(which has had good reports on NBC) and my own device for increasing microcapillary circulation. After twenty years of what seemed like fully developed shiny mpb, 14 months of this combined treatment (plus a range of herbal and hormone supplements) has produced thousands of new terminal hairs springing into life)
It is the combination of all the available approved medications and treatments which does the trick. Specs and others have helped me to understand some aspects of the DHT process, but the science is rather incomplete. I succeeded by guesswork and experimentation. I am amazed that each week and month I have some longer hairs to brush. The feeling of the hairs interacting and springing back is incredible. It may take another year or two to get an even appearance, but now I am looking forward to my 50th birthday, as I will look better than at 40!
Ulsterman

#28 JayJay

JayJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:40 PM

sounds like things going well for you mate, you say your having hair regrowth, is your hair regrowth quite thick

#29 JPC

JPC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 05:52 PM

Hi Specs,
I've taken your advise on the Big 3 along with taking msm and zinc tablets daily. By using the Big 3, what are the results likely to be over time? Am I likely to regrow all or most of what hair has been lost or are the results only slight? I am currently thinning on top and at the back and am hoping with time that these treatments will help restore what has been lost.

Please advise

Regards,

JPC

#30 spex

spex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:32 PM

Everyone responds differnetly to treatment but generally if you've caught your hairloss in the early stages chances are you will stop further loss and recover a great deal of ground.

Trick is to not scrutinize over your hair - continue with the big 3 for at least 6/8 months to see significant results.

Important :You must remain on the meds to maintain your results.

Regards
specs

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users