21 replies to this topic

#1 BadHairUK

BadHairUK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:36 PM

I havent been to an airport since 1989! Just wondered how much luggage you can take on the plane with you? I was planning on just taking a ruck sack so I can take everything in there and on the plane with me (is that allowed?) and not having to worry about if it goes missing or where to collect it from when I get off the plane.

Is this what you guys do? I just dont want to look like a terrorist with a ruck sack over my shoulder! :D
1st HT was by Nobel Clinic UK.. 1994.... NIGHTMARE!
...Freddy Krugar could have done a better job!!!! :(

2nd HT Feller Medical 4th Dec '06 3160 strip :)
3rd HT Feller Medical 12th Nov '07 1800 strip ;)
4th HT Feller Medical 5th Oct '09 982 FUE ;)
Total Feller FU = 5942

Daily:
1/5th fin. (started 15th April'08)
MSM 1000 x2 (only for 1st 6 months after HT)

#2 PB_

PB_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:53 PM

I havent been to an airport since 1989! Just wondered how much luggage you can take on the plane with you? I was planning on just taking a ruck sack so I can take everything in there and on the plane with me (is that allowed?) and not having to worry about if it goes missing or where to collect it from when I get off the plane.

Is this what you guys do? I just dont want to look like a terrorist with a ruck sack over my shoulder! :D

They are ridiculously strict about what you can take on board these days; no fluids, nothing sharp etc. Also hand luggage has to be able to fit into the test basket they have at the airport. There is usually a 5kg weight limit for hand luggage and only one piece of luggage/person. On my last trip I had a bag and a plastic carrier bag and they wouldn't allow it because I had two bags. So I squashed the plastic carrier bag and its contents into the other bag... after that it wouldn't fit into the test basket so I had to unpack the whole bag and get rid of packing material and pack everything in tight enough so that the bag would fit into their damn test basket. I would take a suitcase, especially if you want to buy clothing or something over there.

PB_

4532 grafts in two procedures with Dr Feller
Dr Feller 17.11.2005 - 2700 grafts into front 1/3 - excellent growth
Dr Feller 8.6.2007 - 1832 grafts in total - 1300 dense packed into hairline @ 65+ grafts/cm2 and 532 into crown (almost all singles at the front with a few doubles at back of hairline - all crown grafts are multi hair grafts)
Dr Lindsey June 2008 - 711 FUE
My Webpage

#3 Borobaldy

Borobaldy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:09 PM

Hi Badhair,

I had a ruck sack and there was no problem with this but I did have to put it into the test basket that PB was referring to. As long as it's not too big, it should be ok.

#4 BadHairUK

BadHairUK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:21 PM

I would take a suitcase, especially if you want to buy clothing or something over there.

PB, Thanks for the info!

Thats quite a good point about bringing stuff back.. I hadnt thought about that. Its a rare trip so I think I might bring a few things back.. are clothes really much cheaper? Do u have to take the tags off incase they check if u've brought anything back in your luggage.

I was just worried about finding where u have to collect your case and stuff... some of them airports are like a maze.

Hi Badhair,

I had a ruck sack and there was no problem with this but I did have to put it into the test basket that PB was referring to. As long as it's not too big, it should be ok.

Thanks mate.

Total Feller FU = 5942

Daily:

#5 PB_

PB_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:31 PM

Do u have to take the tags off incase they check if u've brought anything back in your luggage.

I was just worried about finding where u have to collect your case and stuff... some of them airports are like a maze.

I doubt you will be able to pack your case that full of clothes that customs would be interested, unless you're buying mink coats or something :D

There was a sale on when I was there and some things were cheaper. There was a much better selction of stuff though than at home and I bought a coat and all sorts of New York T-shirts and hooded tops etc.

The test basket is quite small though. My last journey was the first time I've ever been told to put my bag in the test basket thing. Usually I've had loads of stuff with me and haven't had any problems - it just depends on the person at the desk. Better to go with the limits though to avoid any unwanted delays and hassle.

There are screens with the collection belt numbers at the airport... you just look up your flight number on the screen and it tells you where to collect your luggage from and when it's available for collection. I always put a coloured belt around my suitcase so that I can spot it easily.

PB_

Dr Feller 8.6.2007 - 1832 grafts in total - 1300 dense packed into hairline @ 65+ grafts/cm2 and 532 into crown (almost all singles at the front with a few doubles at back of hairline - all crown grafts are multi hair grafts)
My Webpage

#6 BadHairUK

BadHairUK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:25 PM

Do u have to take the tags off incase they check if u've brought anything back in your luggage.

I doubt you will be able to pack your case that full of clothes that customs would be interested, unless you're buying mink coats or something :D

lol.. :D I think I'll be ok then.

Great help... I wouldnt even know where to collect the luggage if u hadnt told me.. I'm not used to going further than my local high street!

Cheers again.

Total Feller FU = 5942

Daily:

#7 PB_

PB_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:49 PM

You can't really go wrong because as soon as you have passed passport control you will have to go into the luggage collection hall before you go out. Be prepared to stand in a queue for a couple of hours at passport control. The first time I went it wasn't too bad and I got through in about half an hour. Last time there was a queue about a mile long with people that couldn't speak English and it took ages, not to mention the cock-up with my records they made (my fingerprint didn't match the one on my previous trip because the retard got my name wrong and had the wrong person's fingerprint).

Then when you eventually get out of the airport, beware of all the Mexicans offering you an illegal taxi... go and join the queue for the official yellow cab taxis.

PB_

My Webpage

#8 BadHairUK

BadHairUK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:57 PM

You can't really go wrong because as soon as you have passed passport control you will have to go into the luggage collection hall before you go out. Be prepared to stand in a queue for a couple of hours at passport control. The first time I went it wasn't too bad and I got through in about half an hour. Last time there was a queue about a mile long with people that couldn't speak English and it took ages, not to mention the cock-up with my records they made (my fingerprint didn't match the one on my previous trip because the retard got my name wrong and had the wrong person's fingerprint).

Then when you eventually get out of the airport, beware of all the Mexicans offering you an illegal taxi... go and join the queue for the official yellow cab taxis.

Oh, and remember to learn Spanish before you go :D

More very helpful info... I would have been in one of those illegal taxis! I hope I dont get delayed too much.

Not sure about the fingerprint thing? I dont think they have my fingerprint? :D

(edit: oh, I think they took u'rs on your last trip)

Total Feller FU = 5942

Daily:

#9 PB_

PB_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:11 PM

More very helpful info... I would have been in one of those illegal taxis! I hope I dont get delayed too much.

Not sure about the fingerprint thing? I dont think they have my fingerprint? :D

(edit: oh, I think they took u'rs on your last trip)

I went in an illegal taxi the first time and was sh***ing myself all the way to the hotel wondering when they were going to rob and kill me. I got there OK and there wasn't any problem but I was scared when I realized it wasn't an official taxi. It wasn't any cheaper than an official yellow cab so it's not worth risking it.

They took my fingerprints and photographed me both times.

PB_

My Webpage

#10 zip it

zip it

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:33 PM

I had no probs at all, to be honest i think they all felt sorry for me, i was crapping myself,
you will have to fill in a visa waiver you do that on the plane, at the other end they ask you the reason
of youre trip, and when i get nervous i stutter and just said ber ber ber der der der ,he then said go through that door,i thought oh shit, i went through the door and was out of of the airport,i couldnt believe my luck, you can just say reason for youre trip is a medical procedure, i think they thought i was mental :D Dont forget the max cash you can take with you is 10,000 us dollars.

#11 PB_

PB_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:39 AM

The reason I gave was "a vacation"... I just happened to have a HT while I was there on vacation...

I might say that I'm going for a HT next time just to see their reaction :D

Did you say "ber ber ber der der der" when you met Dr Feller too? :D

PB_

My Webpage

#12 BadHairUK

BadHairUK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:39 AM

I wasnt sure what to say either when I booked the plane and hotel tickets on the phone with Expedia, they asked why my purpose of the trip was.... and I didnt know what to say... and just said its a Business trip! But now I'm wondering if they have that down on some computer so I cant say its a Holiday next time..lol. I think I will say surgery next time... or try... de de de dar dar dar dum de de doo :D I know how u must have felt tho Zip, its so much to take in... the whole trip is quite an ordeal before u even arrive at the hotel... did you have your pic and finger prints taken too Zip?

Total Feller FU = 5942

Daily:

#13 GasMan

GasMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:06 AM

I flew the other day and went through customes at Gatwick which was really strict. Huge queues before the metal detectors etc.... Also had to remove jacket, belt, shoes etc before walking through gate. Just wondering if I was wearing a hat whether they would ask for it to be removed.....??? hmmmm??
1032 FUE Dr Feller December 2007
1mg of Proscar daily

#14 PB_

PB_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:16 AM

and just said its a Business trip!

Wrong answer! If it's a business trip they want details of which company you are doing business with and if you are going to be doing work for that company in the US you'll need all sorts of permits and BS. I'd just say you're having a short holiday there and that the travel agent must have put down business trip by mistake if it is on record.

PB_

My Webpage

#15 s.a.f

s.a.f

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:53 PM

But what about travel insurance? Dont you need to declare that you're having surgery, otherwise if something goes wrong and you need medical treatment they (the insurer) could say its void and you'd really be f"^&ed. After all it is quite an ordeal to get a strip of your head removed then fly a few days later.
--------

My HT Experience/Info pack

----------

#16 dukey

dukey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 05:10 PM

I was not asked to remove my hat. Even if you were asked to remove it then you could ask for a private room or just remove it very quickly :)

Just tell them at customs you're there on holiday for a few days, its as simple as that! :huh:

#17 Kiffa

Kiffa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 05:43 PM

I was not asked to remove my hat. Even if you were asked to remove it then you could ask for a private room or just remove it very quickly B)

Just tell them at customs you're there on holiday for a few days, its as simple as that! :huh:

Cool, next time I will ask for a privare room! In Bruxelles thay asked me to remove my fuckin hat !
Fortunately (or un-fortunately) I didn't have anything to hide (my HT was cancelled for a problem in my eye :) )

#18 PB_

PB_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:35 PM

But what about travel insurance? Dont you need to declare that you're having surgery, otherwise if something goes wrong and you need medical treatment they (the insurer) could say its void and you'd really be f"^&ed. After all it is quite an ordeal to get a strip of your head removed then fly a few days later.

Travel insurance is a scam, there is always something in the small print that makes it void anyway. If you declare your HT they will exclude any problems related to that anyway. I don't think an insurance company has ever paid me for health issues without a battle and having to get a solicitor to threaten them :huh: I had to take them to court to get them to pay for my daughter's knee surgery :)

PB_

My Webpage

#19 s.a.f

s.a.f

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:12 PM

With mine they actually asked if there were any medical reasons for the trip. Sign of the times I suppose traveling for cosmetic surgery is not so uncommon these days.
--------

My HT Experience/Info pack

----------

#20 PB_

PB_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

With mine they actually asked if there were any medical reasons for the trip. Sign of the times I suppose traveling for cosmetic surgery is not so uncommon these days.

Didn't they exclude any possible complications related to the surgery from the policy?

PB_

My Webpage

#21 BadHairUK

BadHairUK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:18 AM

I am wondering if they can turn you away at customs if you just say your having surgery? Is there anything that they can do to stop you then, are you doing anything that you shouldnt be?

I wasnt sure what the rules were for surgery overseas when I booked my flight, so thats why I just said business trip... if they ask why I said that.. I'm wondering if I can just say I'm having surgery. If they check your bag and you have addresses to the Surgery and stuff, they will know you are telling porkies.

:huh:

Total Feller FU = 5942

Daily:

#22 spex

spex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:52 AM

Just calm it all down a little here!! You are not 007 on a mission to save the world here. :huh: You are travelling to NYC where millions of people travel to every week.

There will be no problem going through customs - done it 30x + myself through various US immigration check points.

Just say you are there on holiday for a few days -That ALL you need to say. You are being paranoid!

As standard procedure they take your fingure print and scan your eye at the counter - all normal in the US now and will soon be implemented here no doubt !!

Just be cool and answer any questions with the truth. - You are there on holiday for a few days :)

If they have a lock down and Jack Bauer drops in through the sky light to interigate you then just say that you are intending to have a HT with one on the best Dr in the world and if he wants his temples touched up i recommend 1800 into the front B)
You will be absolutely fine mate - have fun and try not stress too much B)

Note: If there were any medical complications to do with the HT surgery then i think Dr Feller would resolve them :o Save your claim on your travel insurnace for if you get mugged in Harlem :ph34r: That is a joke by the way
Consultant and Showcase for Dr Feller and Dr Lindsey and Beauty Medical's SMP.

All opinions expressed are my own.Website : www.spexhair.com

My Hair Loss Education project : MaximumHair MinimumLoss.com

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users