• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 julie

julie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:04 PM

Hi I'm new to the forum and not sure if there's many women on the site? My son started to loose his hair at 16, after trying to ignore a very sensitive subject my son asked me was he going bald? It's so heartbreaking as he is really upset at the thought of losing his hair at such an early age, he went to our GP last year, he is a good doctor but was very negative with him saying he just has to accept it, ( he has a full head of hair and in his late 40's ), he's been on regaine for over a year now with no improvement at all, i got in touch with a hair loss clinic in Manchester, they were really sympathetic and recommended Propecia, they didn't try to push their prices on me and in fact told me to carry on with Regaine but buy it from minoxidil direct, my son is 19 now and at uni but his hairloss is making his life miserable and as his mum makes mine as well, i'm just hoping the Propecia helps him as i really don't know how my son would be if he lost anymore as he's so sensitive about it now, is there anyone else on the forum who started losing their hair at such an realy age

#2 spex

spex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

Julie,

Welcome - its a very sensitive issue this hairloss situ and there are MNAY here who will be able to relate to loosing their hair especially at a young age. I started loosing mine at 21 and it was traumatic. I can completely concur where your head is at as I personally brought my mum on board at the time and she was an amazing pillar of support to me and when though it all with me - I know how draining emotionally it was on her at the time as felt somewhat responsible. Your son is doing the best thing possible by attempting to suppress DHT by taking propecia - (look into Proscar as much cheaper) This is the best weapon proven to help prevent further loss.

Loosing hair at any age creates a great deal of anxiety but to loose it very young is even tougher IMO but its all relative.

Tell him to keep up with meds like Proscar (propecia) cool.gif

Regards
Spex
Consultant and Showcase for Dr Feller and Dr Lindsey and Beauty Medical's SMP.

All opinions expressed are my own.Website : www.spexhair.com

My Hair Loss Education project : MaximumHair MinimumLoss.com

Posted Image

#3 julie

julie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE(spex @ Feb 11 2009, 03:22 PM) View Post

Julie,

Welcome - its a very sensitive issue this hairloss situ and there are MNAY here who will be able to relate to loosing their hair especially at a young age. I started loosing mine at 21 and it was traumatic. I can completely concur where your head is at as I personally brought my mum on board at the time and she was an amazing pillar of support to me and when though it all with me - I know how draining emotionally it was on her at the time as felt somewhat responsible. Your son is doing the best thing possible by attempting to suppress DHT by taking propecia - (look into Proscar as much cheaper) This is the best weapon proven to help prevent further loss.

Loosing hair at any age creates a great deal of anxiety but to loose it very young is even tougher IMO but its all relative.

Tell him to keep up with meds like Proscar (propecia) cool.gif

Regards
Spex

Hi Spex, Thanks for your reply, it is so draining emotionally, i can only talk to him when he brings the subject up as it's so sensitive, whenever he's home he can't pass a mirror without looking at his hair and as he says he knows no one his age that's losing their hair, he wears his hair long as he's an art student and hates short hair, yes i do feel responsible, my dad, brother and uncle all lost their hair at an realy age, my husband is 50 next and has a full head of hair which seems cruel. just wish i could do something else for him, feel so useless.

#4 joe101

joe101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

You musn't blame yourself for your genes

Finasteride 1mg

Revita and Nizoral Shampoos

#5 PB_

PB_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE(julie @ Feb 11 2009, 05:04 PM) View Post

is there anyone else on the forum who started losing their hair at such an realy age

Yep, by 19 I had receded badly with a sharp V shaped hairline and thin patch on my crown sad.gif That was in the 70's though so there wasn't anything that could be done to halt it. There is a good chance Finasteride will help your son hold on to the hair he has. It isn't that unusual to lose hair at your son's age. My hair loss was fairly agressive during my late teens but seemed to stablize during my 20's.

PB_

4532 grafts in two procedures with Dr Feller
Dr Feller 17.11.2005 - 2700 grafts into front 1/3 - excellent growth
Dr Feller 8.6.2007 - 1832 grafts in total - 1300 dense packed into hairline @ 65+ grafts/cm2 and 532 into crown (almost all singles at the front with a few doubles at back of hairline - all crown grafts are multi hair grafts)
Dr Lindsey June 2008 - 711 FUE
My Webpage

#6 Stan

Stan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:54 PM

Hi Julie

I think the best advice I would give is to introduce your son to this forum as a start, and get him to just start reading the posts which hopefully will allow him to see that he is far from alone out there with his hairloss problem and that there are things he can do to improve the situation.

It is also important not to be seduced by the glossy ads in the magazines promising all sorts of miracles and to simply do the research (how does it go Spex? Reserch, Reserch, and er....reserch!).

Spex has been a great help to many people and many on this forum have met and been helped by him. There are also many others on this forum with a wealth of knowledge that they are happy to share with fellow hair loss sufferers.

Kids eh? You never stop worrying wink.gif

#7 spex

spex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

How you getting on Stan?

Posted Image

#8 Stan

Stan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE(spex @ Feb 19 2009, 04:14 PM) View Post

How you getting on Stan?

Fine thanks Spex, still lurking!

Proscar (from Dr A), Fibres, and Nizoral still keeping things at bay wink.gif

You never know, might be able to avoid the knife, or at least get to an age where I don't care!!!!!

#9 spex

spex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:44 AM

All good amigo cool.gif

Posted Image

#10 faa

faa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:33 AM

might sound stupid, but encourage him to go to the gym and work out

it will boost his self confidence and also if he was worried about thinning hair, having a great body is a way to counter this!

buy LOTS of minoxidil from m.direct and just use it like 4 times a day- thats what i do and ive also got growth on the front! im in my twenties too

#11 AdamB

AdamB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:17 AM

Hi Julie,

It's nice to see you care so much about your son he sounds very very similar to me (i'm currently 23 been losing my hair since about 16 too)
I've been on propecia and for about a year or more now and in January had a Hair Transplant at a top doc in New York.

If you or your son want anyone to talk to about the matter i'm more than happy to chat about similaritys and try and help you or your son in any way i can. Ask away if you need my personal info (phone number or e-mail just ask too i'm happy too)

Ad

#12 pianoman99

pianoman99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:50 PM

Hi Julie,

This is nearly a year old, but I'll stick my 2 pence worth in. Your post struck a chord with me. By the time I was 20 I was utterly miserable about my hair loss. Hated mirrors but was always looking in them, hated going to hair dressers and felt like I was hiding all the time. I spoke to my Mum and Dad about it, which, in hind-sight, must have been hard on them. My dad is totally bald, and so felt it was his responsibility, and my Mum just worried. When I found an advert for a London Hair Transplant surgery, I booked an appointment with a pushy salesman, and then went to my Dad to discuss. He offered to stump up the money and I had a hair transplant at a very early age (20 or 21- I cant remember now). When I look back now, I think it was a mistake. He wanted to fix things for his son, and I was too young to have my hair loss in perspective. I didnt even check out any other clinics. Medications were dismissed by the clinic (probably because they didnt make as much money from them).
These forums give a lot of positive discussions about Hair Transplants (with good reason sometimes - I have seen Spex's hair and it looks incredible) but it is a lifelong, and very expensive commitment. When I had my first HT, I thought that was it - I don't need to worry or think about my hair any more. I was wrong. 20 years later, Im still worrying and thinking about my hair. If I'd done nothing, and cut my hair very short, it would be a non-issue for me.
I think there are some very good replies to your original post here - and to be fair, no-one has mentioned HTs - however, Im sure if he has seen this forum, it will have crossed his mind.
Going to the Gym, and taking Proscar are great suggestions. Wish I'd done that 20 years ago!

Best Regards.

ps My opinion is probably biased by having had a bad, 1990's HT!

QUOTE(julie @ Feb 11 2009, 04:04 PM) View Post

Hi I'm new to the forum and not sure if there's many women on the site? My son started to loose his hair at 16, after trying to ignore a very sensitive subject my son asked me was he going bald? It's so heartbreaking as he is really upset at the thought of losing his hair at such an early age, he went to our GP last year, he is a good doctor but was very negative with him saying he just has to accept it, ( he has a full head of hair and in his late 40's ), he's been on regaine for over a year now with no improvement at all, i got in touch with a hair loss clinic in Manchester, they were really sympathetic and recommended Propecia, they didn't try to push their prices on me and in fact told me to carry on with Regaine but buy it from minoxidil direct, my son is 19 now and at uni but his hairloss is making his life miserable and as his mum makes mine as well, i'm just hoping the Propecia helps him as i really don't know how my son would be if he lost anymore as he's so sensitive about it now, is there anyone else on the forum who started losing their hair at such an realy age

4 Strip Procedure at "The Hair Clinic" and John Bell & C, Wigmore Street. Between 92 and 98.
1 Strip Procedure with Dr Feller, 2600 grafts (May 2010)

http://www.hairtrans....asp?WebID=1253

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users